Best sounding mufflers on stock 318

-

Haney

www.carsonandironmt.com
Reaction score
Going to have full length dual exhaust put on my 72 Dart. It is a 318 with stock manifolds. Going to use 2.5” pipe and do turn downs at back. What is the best sounding mufflers for this combo? I want something with a deep tone and loud but not obnoxious.

I have Dynomax Super Turbo's also. Really good flow through design.

But, for loud, especially when decelerating go with Flowmaster Series 40's. They are restrictive which causes the sound. Vroom!!!

Here's my 5.9 with Dynomax Super Turbo's.

Just kidding, that was open headers :D

Here's with the Super Turbo's.

If you are not going to run tailpipes, it's going to be a LOT louder. So you have to adjust what you are listening to. Just about any muffler without tailpipes is going to give you the deep aggressive tone you are probably looking for. The DynoMax Ultra Flow and the Pypes Race Pro are literally identical mufflers except DM makes an aluminized and Stainless version where Pypes is stainless. Both these mufflers will be very tame except at WOT. Both will yield some drone at certain cruising RPM levels.

The DM superTurbo is a much quieter muffler and will yield little or no drone but still a good choice if that's what you want. The down side of this muffler is that it is a crimped case muffler. Over time, crimped mufflers tend to develop leaks whereas the welded case muffler last longer. Soon Pypes will be releasing a welded case muffler with the same attributes as the Super Turbo but in stainless and with a lifetime warranty.

Also, cammed motors are going to have a very different sound.

For a stock 318, and with wanting a deep aggressive sound, I'd go with a chambered muffler like the Pypes Street Pro or a Flowmaster 40 series.

My '71 Dart GT. 119,000 miles 318, Edelbrock LD4B intake & 1406 carburetor, MP electronic ignition, internally stock (except for the Cloyes double-roller timing chain & gears). Factory exhaust manifolds, FlowMaster 40s & 2 1/4" pipes.

Thanks for all the great response to this thread. Thanks @318willrun I went with 2.5" pipe from manifolds back and Dynomax Super Turbos turned down at the back. Could not be happier. BTW, this is a bone stock 72 318 2bbl with manifolds.

Last edited:
Going to have full length dual exhaust put on my 72 Dart. It is a 318 with stock manifolds. Going to use 2.5” pipe and do turn downs at back. What is the best sounding mufflers for this combo? I want something with a deep tone and loud but not obnoxious.

You may as well ask, "What color of oatmeal will make my car go faster?"

Whoever's name is on the title can be the only one to answer your question.

I got me the cheapie 2 1/2" summit exhaust system and an H pipe to go behind my Doug's headers. I may get an electric cutout setup just to make more noise if I get next to some ricer in traffic.

You may as well ask, "What color of oatmeal will make my car go faster?"

Whoever's name is on the title can be the only one to answer your question.

I got me the cheapie 2 1/2" summit exhaust system and an H pipe to go behind my Doug's headers. I may get an electric cutout setup just to make more noise if I get next to some ricer in traffic.

Well I am sorry if this thread was not very helpful to you but as the OP it helped me A LOT. 318WillRun posted a video with the sound I was looking for, so yes, my name is on the title and with others help on here, it helped ME make a decision. I was following up with a post of the Dynomax super turbos on MY car.

-
Back