best way to mount fiberglass hood scoop to steel hood?

-

USAJon

Maryland U.S.A.
Reaction score
any ideas here...thanks!
our parts car gets a test...

11march20004a.jpg

Chewing gum!!LOL!!Just kidding!They sell stuff that holds fiberglass to metal,I believe it,s called Vette adhesive.It,s for putting on fiberglass 1/4 panels and other.Hope this helps.

take the hood down to bare metal with 40 grit scratches the drill a bunch of pop rivets (like one per in) then use panel bond (a 2part epoxy for gluing cars together) and mate the two together. Remember Glass and steel vibrate at different frequencys. i like to then duraglass the first coat of smoother filler then use decent mud.

I talked to an old racing bro, who has worked in an auto body shop aprox 10 years, he said just use the same cutting disk wheel ( harbar freight), that i used to cut the fender wells on the 1976 plymouth valiant...aka Hemi cut...so i go that blue painters tape marked around the area I wanted to cut..and cut backwards away from the direction of the disk...no fiberglass dust on the cutting line...it took say 10 minuets to get it done...the scoop needs final fit on the hood as the hood has a small bow (factory see mount photos) to it..I plan to get some corrsct mount specs. for the Hemi scoop, cut the hood open for an air cleaner, finalize the scoop fit , bolt it down, and use house caulk on the outter seam/hood fit, but Bob @ maco here in SIlver Spring, says they make auto body caulk...that you can paint..so that will be my choice..I want to media blast the hood, and such so it may just get mounted with out caulk first..here's some pics of progress..thanks !

http://photobucket.com/USAJon

it trimmed, and bolted down. we put the first layer of body seam caulk. rattle can primer, will need more..work

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

our 1968 Dodge Dart (Hurst Hemi style) slant six is coming along

It,s looking good!I have a dual snorkel scoop for my 66 Dart,I,m just not sure if it would look good on there?Maybe just wait and get a different scoop?(66 Hemi scoop)

you can take photos of both and morph in photo shop/MSN images to see how they look
or just print out in scale and cut out scoop and put on print of car to look @..
Ive never seen a duel snorkle scoop..got any pics?

-
Back