Big block/3 on the tree?

-
Many were built that way and of those many were converted to four speed.
Yep, My 70 340 Duster came with a 3 speed,floor shift. Insurance was less with a 3 speed.
Just went to the local wrecking yard and got a 4 speed out of a Dart.
Anybody remember those days ?? Cost was $100 and came with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter !!!!

Up till 1971 you could get a C-body with a 383-2bbl, 3 on the tree combo. It was the base Newport drivetrain and optional on Fury, Polaras, & Monacos. I have a set of pedals that came out of a '69 383-2bbl 4dr sedan Newport. They even have the pedal dress up trim since that was standard on Chryslers.

Yep, My 70 340 Duster came with a 3 speed,floor shift. Insurance was less with a 3 speed.
Just went to the local wrecking yard and got a 4 speed out of a Dart.
Anybody remember those days ?? Cost was $100 and came with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter !!!!
You could still find the OD a833 for $150($25 core) with a 3 month warranty when I was in my teens. I only saw 1 A833 in a yard in the early 00’s, it was the ball and trunnion style in a 65 Dart GT that I should have bought.

Craig, I've often wondered that myself. Case and point, I have a dedicated (three speed only pattern) big block bellhousing. Casting number says it's a C body bellhousing. Stop and think about that one. A big luxury C body with a three speed. Was it column shift? Was it floor shift? Probably column shift, but unique and cool either way, so yeah, there were big block and three speed combo vehicles......and I KNOW there were trucks, because I had a friend in Byron who had a 68 D100 383, 3 on the tree and it was original. So build it! lol Look forward to seein you and pop some this season!
The A745 “heavy duty” 3-speed came out in ‘61 and was offered in at least the ‘62-‘64 C-bodies with a floor shifter. That is probably what you have. It has weak synchros pins that are easily bent during hard shifts and that’s why they had the T-85J in the Max Wedge. A one year only MoPar T-10 was offered in 1963 before the A833 came out in ‘64. T85Ds were optional behind B block Dodges and Plymouths in ‘60 and ‘61.

The A745 “heavy duty” 3-speed came out in ‘61 and was offered in at least the ‘62-‘64 C-bodies with a floor shifter. That is probably what you have. It has weak synchros pins that are easily bent during hard shifts and that’s why they had the T-85J in the Max Wedge. A one year only MoPar T-10 was offered in 1963 before the A833 came out in ‘64. T85Ds were optional behind B block Dodges and Plymouths in ‘60 and ‘61.
Nope. This was either a 70 or 71 casting. I don't remember. @Craig Burriss could tell you though, as he has it now.

Nope. This was either a 70 or 71 casting. I don't remember. @Craig Burriss could tell you though, as he has it now.
I’ll have to go pull it off the shelf and look because I don’t remember either. It’s been sitting there waiting on me to fab up some floors for the truck and start putting it back together. I have an old scatter shield bell that has multiple bolt patterns so I might end up using it instead if it fits the mystery 3 speed

-
Back