BIG problem here ... need help

-

MoparFan

Reaction score
Hi,

I was replacing the upper ball joint on my 72 Dart , on passanger side everything was ok got the ball joint tight to 125 lb-ft. But on the driver side, when I started to tight a little bite (not even close to 125lb-ft), the thread just stripped !!! :evil: :cry: :puker:
Now what can I do? :scratch:
Is there another solution then finding another control arm (cuz here they are pretty freakin rare...and we still have a couple of feet of snow everywhere :puker: :puker:)?

I hope you can help me with that, thanks.

I had the same problem 10 years ago on my 69 Dart when I rebuilt the frontend. I ended up taking the control arm and ball joint to a professional welder. I'm still running it on my Dart with no problems. Of course I'll have to find a new control arm if I rebuild again. Somebody may know a better solution, but this worked for me.

-Nick :thumrigh:

Is it the factory small ball-joint?
If so i might one off a 71 Duster if you want it and if i can find it!

when that hapens to me i just hit it with the mig welder in a few spots and cool it down

So welding the ball joint to the control arm would be a good solution. I tought of that but wasn't sure if it was good enough to hold down the road/track (let's not forget that this car will never see more then 350-400hp at the flywheel, and that's a dream for now).
@EvilScamp: thanks, but i'm doing a swap with part of a Dart 74, so it's the big ball joint.

Mopower71 said:
or go with tubular uppers.
I have read on one website (don't remember wich one :scratch: ), the manufacturer was stating that is tubular upper control arm were only for the track, and not design to withstand to road conditions (bump and pothole, i guess).
Is it the same thing for all tubular upper control arm?
If not, I migth consider these if the welding doesn't work.

fbrakes1.jpg

Thanks for the helps and advice guys :thumleft:

I will start with having the ball joint weld. If it doesn't work I will either try to find a use one 73-76 or go with the tubular one.

@BBLM23: do you run this setup on the street? or only the track?

Thanks again

-
Back