Biggest tire and 15" wheel possible on a 1966 Dart?

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Hi! I want to get me some new 15" wheels to replace my stock 14", however I would like to get as wide a tire and wheel as possible without minitubbing, so now to the questions

- What's the maximum possible tire diameter

- How wide can I go and still keep within the fenders?

- What's the maximum backspacing possible on the wheel?

- Anything else relevant? For example I assume that a 295/60 -15 on a 8" wide wheel would be impossible? Well just try to answer as best you can =)

Best regards!

If you are using the same rim and can measure what you have extra on each side in mm's then you can make a good judgement on what you can run., If yo have a 205 and have 25mm on each side for clearance all around, then a 255 is possible in the same aspect ratio on the same rim. Offsets will move the entire profile in or out, remember the bulge. Looks like the place it will hit are the rear inner fenders, the fender lip (you can roll it carefully) the leading edge of the rear wheel well and of course the fenderwell Hookers you are thinking about in the front ;-)

Had any problems with tires rubbing in bumps with those 255 ? Hm, yeah I guess, it seems that there's plenty of room going in but much less on the outside though that's what I expected, it would be interesting to know if anyone has squeezed in anything even bigger without mods, Offset on the rim is no problem, have a workshop-owning friend and we have changed offset on many a wheel!

I've done and seen lots of early "A"s and that 255 is going to be max without moving the springs. Probably will also have a bit of rubbing with those 255 in corners, driveways, and possibly bumps.

I think they will rub.
I raced a Dart in SCCA, and we ran 15 inch, but had to replace the whole well, and bow the body to fit. This was during the late '60s, and early '70s, so even racing tires weren't as wide as some street tires now. Granted we ran a decambered spring, and the car sat lower, but with the softer stock springs you'll have a lot more motion.

I run 255/60/15. I have the offset shackles. Plenty of room with proper backspacing

That's what I thought it looked like on pettybludarts picture too, seems to be alot of room on the inside of those 255's, should handle it at plenty more with the right beckspacing from what I'm seeing on the pict?

-
Back