Block saver thickness?

-

Scott's dart

Reaction score
I bought an older lakewood 2 piece bellhousing for my big block and it didn't come with a block saver and I would like one because right now it looks like I'd have to lop off a lot of my input shaft because my crank isn't drilled for a 4 speed. Just wondering what's the normal thickness or if I can just get whatever thickness to suit my needs?

I bought an older lakewood 2 piece bellhousing for my big block and it didn't come with a block saver and I would like one because right now it looks like I'd have to lop off a lot of my input shaft because my crank isn't drilled for a 4 speed. Just wondering what's the normal thickness or if I can just get whatever thickness to suit my needs?

I will go out and measure mine for you, but off the top of my head, IIRC, it’s 3/16 (.187) thick. You can’t get too thick on the block plate because it will run into the flywheel. How much that is...I’d have to put mine back together and measure it, but I think a 1/4 inch would be the maximum.

Again, that’s off the top of my head.

My LW 3 piece saver is 1/8". Another brand (Ansen?) I have is 3/16".

Okay thanks! I do want to space my transmission back a bit so I think I'll try 3/16!

.....so I think I'll try 3/16!
Realize that will move associated parts back as well. You might consider spacing the fork pivot forward that 3/16". It's harder to add a spacer if needed later in the car but not impossible.

Realize that will move associated parts back as well. You might consider spacing the fork pivot forward that 3/16". It's harder to add a spacer if needed later in the car but not impossible.
I'm using a hydraulic throw out bearing so that's not an issue for me!

Mine is 3 1/16". So what are you going to use for a pilot shaft bearing?

oh many many people I've had to cut about an inch off the input shaft, and they end up using the same pilot pushing in some cases but most of time for guys like you with an undrilled crankshaft, you just get the Mopar pilot bearing that sits where the torque converter snout goes. Take measurements before cutting the input shaft. Put a straight edge across the bell and measure the amount of protrusion, then measure the cranks protrusion from the bell flange at the crank flange. Make sure the input is .080 away from the cavity in the crankshaft.

oh many many people I've had to cut about an inch off the input shaft, and they end up using the same pilot pushing in some cases but most of time for guys like you with an undrilled crankshaft, you just get the Mopar pilot bearing that sits where the torque converter snout goes. Take measurements before cutting the input shaft. Put a straight edge across the bell and measure the amount of protrusion, then measure the cranks protrusion from the bell flange at the crank flange. Make sure the input is .080 away from the cavity in the crankshaft.
Yeah I did know that I was going to have to cut some of my input shaft of but from what I had read people were saying only around 3/8 to a 1/2 inch and mine was going to be over an inch so I was really second guessing myself. I already started making the block saver last night so I'll use it! Thanks for the reply!

-
Back