Blue smoke on take off

-

340Dart

Obsessive Dart Disorder
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My buddy was behind me. He told me when I nailed it a puff of blue smoke came out of the exhaust. That was the only time it did. It doesn't smoke any other time. It usually has a puff of black smoke when I take off. This is the first time it's done this. My buddy usually follows me to shows and cruises and tells me if anything is not right. Are the rings going bad? Any help is appreciated.

Fred B

Blue is a rich condition. It could just be alot of pumpshot when you wack the long pedal. No big deal.

To reduce this or rid it, move the pump shot arm back one hole on the Carter carbs.
If it is a Holley, there is a cam on the side to try and change out. Holley sells a pack of cams with different intensecity and duration pump sho abilties.

Sorry fish, hate to disagree but black is rich and blue is oil.

How old is the build on the engine? Could be the umbrella seals are starting to harden up, they can be changed without pulling the heads. If they are getting old and hard they like to ride on the top of the valves and give oil a chance to run down the guides and will cause you to have more problems later on. The exhaust valves are the ones leaking down because the intake will burn it unless it becomes real bad. Cheap fix now, all you need is the adaptor to put air pressure in the cylinder, an overhead valve spring compressor, a set of seals and probably a set of cover gaskets.

coulda pulled a little oil up thru the pcv valve or if you had just fired it up maybe a little oil past the valve guides. it,ll keep your mufflers from rusting out. lol

I would agree that most likely the valve guide seals are probably getting a little hard....

But I would not worry about it... Seriously... One small puff when getting on it is nothing.

The lady's old ford down the street has been puffin a little blue on start up for 20 years.

Thanks for the reply's. The heads are Edelbrocks with 12,000 miles. The engine has 48,000. I guess I worry too much. lol I will check the seals.

Fred B

Ahhh, hate it when I screw up, win some loose some, sorry about that.

It's alright fish, we still love ya!

Fred B,

You don't have a heap of miles on the top end so I wouldn't worry for now but if it gets worse you'll want to get after it.

ya and to check if you have blow by, put the car in gear and put a load on it. Pull the pcv valve or breather and if stuff comes out...you got blowby

-
Back