Bodywork experts!

-

FomocoReformed

Reaction score
So I'm having an issue with my rear valance when I went to put it back on. The car just got both full quarters welded and when I checked the fit of my rear valance I noticed that the valance is now wider than the quarters by about 1/16th of an inch on each side to 1/8th inch at the top corners of the valance.

What's the best way to widen the lower quarters/trunk extensions to the correct fit? They were left unwelded at the rear pinch weld where the quarter panel meets the trunk extension but are welded along the bottom lip. :glasses7:

I wouldn't try to move the 1/4s. I would take a cut off wheel and make a cut off each end of the valance.

Remove the material from the valance as needed (should only be a little bit).

Get everything clamped into place ON THE CAR.

Tack weld then carefully stitch weld the cuts back together. Do this slowly allowing each tack weld to cool.

Once the welding is done grind the welds down, hammer and dolly as needed, finish with body filler.

I don't know how far things went with the 1/4 replacement but now would be a good time to test fit things like the trunk lid and read bumper.

You don't want to get much farther along if things are not fitting correctly.

If the above mentioned things check out "OK", them move onto the valance mod.

Oh the trunk lid has already been fit properly, doors are lined up properly and body lines are all set. Only thing I have left to do is fit the rear valance, smooth out a patch in the roof, then final block and prime. Fit on the rear bumper doesn't seem to be out of whack but I do need to get a new one anyway. Just wasn't too keen on whether or not widening the quarters was a good idea. Now that I think about it just the amount of material removed by the cutoff wheel would probably be enough to get it lined up.

If it's for your '70 (70-73 style valance) and that close why not just draw the valance in a little during install instead of cutting/welding? I just went out and looked at my spare and it appears the ends can be gently 'massaged' that far without much effort at all and without distorting the valance.

-
Back