Bodywork & Painting question 71 dart

-

TriX-RaBBiT

Reaction score
So i Know you need a covered space for painting but, what about bodywork? and prep for painting??

I should take everything out of the interior and take all the glass and other bits out for the body work guy right? Same guy will also be doing the painting and prep work. thinking of popping this into one of those big car tents since its nigh impossible to find a proper garage to store this around my area, and 95% of homes are on stilts.

also this car has 3-4 layers of different color paint on it, is it going to need sandblasting? (only where bodywork hasnt been done already)

You want to keep the vehicle out of the weather while doing body work. Hot spots of rust can happen in one day leaving bare metal exposed due to humidity and oils from your hands. Once the mil thickness gets too large you want to strip to bare steel. If you are having someone do the work for you it is sometimes best to remove as much trim and such as possible. This way the bodyman doesn't need to charge you for all the R&I of these items.

You want to keep the vehicle out of the weather while doing body work. Hot spots of rust can happen in one day leaving bare metal exposed due to humidity and oils from your hands. Once the mil thickness gets too large you want to strip to bare steel. If you are having someone do the work for you it is sometimes best to remove as much trim and such as possible. This way the bodyman doesn't need to charge you for all the R&I of these items.

yeah most of the interior is out, glass needs to come out and w/e gunk is on there cleaned off. Thing is, its 100% humidity here nearly every day. along with salt air since im very very close to the ocean here. Only thing i can think of is to find one of those enclosed carport things for it to be worked on in. They who is doing the body is coming to my home to do it all. hes also capable of doing the paint as well (i haven't decided whether or not to have him paint it even though im leaning that way)

the only other place nearby that does quality bodywork charges an arm and a leg, by the time i was done with them i could prolly just go buy a turnkey.

I used a 10x12 party tent with tarps on the ground and taped together to make a floor and a layer of dropcloth taped to the walls and top so that overspray wouldn't screw up an expensive tent and I could re-use it later for an actual party. :-D

The tent with the side kit cost me about $200 at Menards. With a little engineering you can do it, but you'll want to work fast. It's not an ideal environment and it doesn't stay nice very long.

DSC06160.jpg

the glass doesn't have to come out- once the trim is off, you have enough exposed to do a proper paint job.

Harbor Freight sells big discs that look like scotch brite brillo pad. Takes paint off with hardly ant heat to the metal. And fast.Then wipe it with ospho, from ace hardware. No pos lacquer primer in rattle can.

-
Back