Borescope Info ?

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Who has info / opinions on a reasonably priced borescope for home use.

Hand held stand alone or smart phone compatible?

I have a usb cheap one. Need my laptop to use it. I did see one i liked on amazon while i was browsing flir infrared camera.
For me i think i would like one that connects to my iphone. Then i can capture an image and e-mail if need arises. No sd cards to deal with.

Here is one.
DE9E44CD-536C-44C4-997D-A85E08B69857.png

Hand held stand alone or smart phone compatible?

I have one for my smart phone it seems to work well. I think it was less than 15 bucks. IF you go that route, make sure it has the correct plug end for your phone. I have to use my old phone, because the plugs changed.

Mine also has a USB plug. And it also came with a wire that attaches to the end so you can fish something out of a small place. Has a light too.

I have one for my smart phone it seems to work well. I think it was less than 15 bucks. IF you go that route, make sure it has the correct plug end for your phone. I have to use my old phone, because the plugs changed.
You can get USB to USBC adaptors. That's what I did.

You can get USB to USBC adaptors. That's what I did.

Yeah I edited my post, mine has both built in.

The plug I speak of is the appropriate plug for the phone, they changed up since I got my new phone.

Are you saying they now have an adapter to correct that issue?

I borrow a friends of mines Snap On scope just the other day, so you know it wasn't a cheap one. I was trying to tell if a 273 I had was indeed a Commando engine. But the image just wasn't good enough to tell exactly which pistons it had. This was the second attempt. I finally had to tear a head off of it to put my two 65 year head scopes on it. I was not impressed with this Snap On unit.

Yes. My borescope is a male USB the phone female port I have is a USBC I bought an adaptor that's female USB to male USBC. About $2 off evilbay.

20210114_210715.jpg

20210114_210722.jpg

20210114_210735.jpg

That wifi one is sweet! The weak link in mine is its pretty rigid and super long (3 meters) and the USB to the phone makes a semi rigid connection so you have to sort of bend the USB or crane your neck to see the phone while your trying to support the 8 feet your not using and keeping the USB in the phone and guiding the probe into the spark plug hole. The Snap on is probably pretty old and uses a .3M 240x240 pixel resolution camera or something, not the 1080p even a weak phone can display or interlace nowadays. Ill have to coil up mine again and just make it a rigid 12". Mine has a variable light on the tip and a few attachments including a mirror that lets you see at a 90 degree angle. No idea why you'd need that? Wifi is next for me as all the phones are going USB-C now, just another link in that fragile chain now....

I got a Depstech WiFi one a couple years ago. Waterproof with 11.5 ft cable. Displays on
Smartphone with app.

Because of it, I was able to figure out and fix my fuel tank pick up sock that came off.

I had an internally bad rubber hose connecting the sending unit to the body hard line that gave me black flaky sediment in carb bowls and filter

I pulled the sending unit just to inspect inside of gas tank and the sock didn’t come with it :wtf:

The camera showed the sock laying inside a very clean 50+ year old gas tank.:(

Got it out with two people:
  • one sticking the camera down the gas pipe from the top
  • second under the car using an extra long double jointed needle nose and coat hanger to fish out the sock through the 2 1/2” sending unit hole. All while ONLY looking at the cell phone camera under the car

Without the WiFi, we couldn’t have done it. We got it out without dropping the tank. And we swaged the pickup tube so it wouldn’t happen again (repro parts :BangHead:)

the cable is flexible but you can form it. Like soft metal wire. And the camera definitely got submerged in fuel a few time. And all is well with it.

574D50FF-CF8A-48D8-BC57-5102FCE26DA7.jpeg

0AB9DE30-9ACD-4D2B-91E8-A5943731193D.jpeg

418D9EA1-3999-4747-9ACC-BF7541F4C4DE.jpeg

Last edited:
I got a Depstech WiFi one a couple years ago. Waterproof with 11.5 ft cable

Because of it, I was able to figure out and fix my fuel tank pick up sock that came off.

I had an internally bad rubber hose connecting the sending unit to the body hard line that gave me black flaky sediment in carb bowls and filter

I pulled the sending unit just to inspect inside of gas tank and the sock didn’t come with it :wtf:

The camera showed the sock laying inside a very clean 50+ year old gas tank.

-one sticking the camera down the gas pipe,
-second using an extra long double jointed needle nose and coat hanger to fish out the sock through the 2 1/2” sending unit hole. All while ONLY looking at the cell phone camera.

Without the WiFi, we couldn’t have done it. We got it out without dropping the tank. And we swaged the pickup tube so it wouldn’t happen again (repro parts :BangHead:)

the cable is flexible but you can form it. Like soft metal wire. And the camera definitely got submerged in fuel a few time. And all is well with it.

View attachment 1715670400

View attachment 1715670410

View attachment 1715670411

A whopping $35

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYTHWK4/?tag=fabo03-20

Yes. My borescope is a male USB the phone female port I have is a USBC I bought an adaptor that's female USB to male USBC. About $2 off evilbay.
The top photo is micro USB.
The bottom is USB-C

The large retangular ones are USB-A

I used one from the Auto Zone loaner tool program. If I remember correctly, you get the tool for up to 90 days. You pay for the tool up front, and they refund all the money back as long as you do not damage it. If you keep it longer then 90 day, you own it. So, it is free to use, and a decent quality scope.

My son got me one for either my birthday or Christmas a few years ago, a milwaukee. I'm not home right now I dunno the model number but it seems to work ok, definitely not as crazy priced as the one I almost bought off of the snap on guy

Oh sorry I thought you needed to indicate
But for that I use my Milwaukee not to long of a scope but works great for what I need

I got a Depstech WiFi one a couple years ago. Waterproof with 11.5 ft cable. Displays on
Smartphone with app.

The camera showed the sock laying inside a very clean 50+ year old gas tank.:(

• one sticking the camera down the gas pipe from the top
  • second under the car using an extra long double jointed needle nose and coat hanger to fish out the sock through the 2 1/2” sending unit hole. All while ONLY looking at the cell phone camera under the car

View attachment 1715670400

View attachment 1715670410

View attachment 1715670411
Bought the same one to QC the rust restoration up inside my air cowling. It works great! Adjustable brightness, video, photo - all to my cell phone via wi-fi. Couldn't be happier with it.:D

-
Back