Bottle prices....

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Went and swapped out my Mig bottle yesterday. Need to bend some stuff on my reverse flow smoker project so I asked about oxy-acetylene bottles. Fellow at Oxarc asked if I were going to be using a rose bud...which I am planning on. Pair of bottles, purchased but no fill was over $700.....will be keeping an eye on CL....

Superior Welding in my town won't even refill bottles from other companies. You lease them only. I would imagine they do it that way for safety and liability reasons. tmm

Superior Welding in my town won't even refill bottles from other companies. You lease them only. I would imagine they do it that way for safety and liability reasons. tmm
Oxarc explained the whole bottle daring/rental thing to me. Showed them some pictures of a set I am looking at, bottles were purchased set. Spoke to the seller, he told me they were last filled 7 or so years ago. Fellow at Oxarc also told me that if they were purchased from them they tend to not worry so much about the date, that even if the date on temperature is 4 or 5 years overdue they will swap them out. They charge $24 for the hydrotest, so even if the bottles are out of date it is much cheaper than getting new bottles.
Asked about rental, they do a credit check. Thanks to the disaster that happened when I was forced from the USPS my credit is horrible.

Been looking at a neighbors set up. Jim offered to let me borrow it, but the bottles are just about empty. He offered to sell it to me, both bottles and a Victor style torch, complete with cart. I hate borrowing and lending tools...

Went and swapped out my Mig bottle yesterday. Need to bend some stuff on my reverse flow smoker project so I asked about oxy-acetylene bottles. Fellow at Oxarc asked if I were going to be using a rose bud...which I am planning on. Pair of bottles, purchased but no fill was over $700.....will be keeping an eye on CL....

Hey Doug,
How big was your mig bottle and what did it cost, as I need to do the same.
I have a bottle that is about 3 feet tall on the mig cart and a 5 foot tall bottle to refill the smaller one.
The little one is empty right now (Thanks for leaving the valves open Nephew) and the big one is getting close to empty.

Hey Doug,
How big was your mig bottle and what did it cost, as I need to do the same.
I have a bottle that is about 3 feet tall on the mig cart and a 5 foot tall bottle to refill the smaller one.
The little one is empty right now (Thanks for leaving the valves open Nephew) and the big one is getting close to empty.
My bottle is about 3' tall. Was a $32 or so, taxed. Oxarc gives you a discount if you have an account with them.

Check around your area and outside of it. I originally couldn't find anyone to fill my out of state bottles and everyone local tried to get me to lease. I contacted the company whose name is on my bottle and they were able to give me the name of a shop that was further away, but would swap that bottle for a new one. Good luck to you.

I lied....$37.29 was the total....sorry about that....

Ok, well that 5 bucks might push it over the edge. LOL

Check around your area and outside of it. I originally couldn't find anyone to fill my out of state bottles and everyone local tried to get me to lease. I contacted the company whose name is on my bottle and they were able to give me the name of a shop that was further away, but would swap that bottle for a new one. Good luck to you.

There is a local shop that my Brother and I went to that traded for a full one without any problems, so I'll go back there and see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up.

If inkjunkie had PM's, I could offer him a solution...

Oxygen bottle is from Oxarc, the acetylene bottle is from Air Liquide, don't think they have any dealers up this way.....

Picked up an oxy acetylene rig this weekend. Found it on CL. Bought the bottles to Oxarc today. Oxygen bottle was one of theirs...last hydrotest was in 99 so they just swapped it out. The acetylene bottle was from another supplier....last test was in 93 so they wouldn't just swap it out. Hydrotest was $25.73. 385 cf acetylene bottle cost $153.18 to fill. 249 cf oxygen bottle cost $29.80 to fill. Probably never need to refill them again....

-
Back