Bought 5.7 hemi/nag1 out of a cop car. Some questions.

-

dustyaman

Reaction score
First off Happy fourth of July everyone!
So long story short I sold my 360 and 727 and bought a 5.7 hemi/nag 1 setup out of a cop car that had 74,000 miles on it. Got a great deal for it that I couldn't pass up. I've already bought most of the swap parts for my 74 duster for it. My question is instead of having to spend 1500 dollars for a new cam for it to get rid of the MDS, can I just buy a tuner like a Diablo and just turn off the MDS? Or is that not possible. I know sublime technologies sells the wiring harness that comes with a ob2 port. So I'm just trying to figure out if that can work. Here is a picture of my car and the hemi.

20240616_202104.jpg

20230918_101050.jpg

I attended a webinar a while back on this subject. I believe it covered the MDS and what your options are. I don't remember the answer, too many beers ago. But here's a link to the recorded version if you're interested, I'm not sure if it will let just anyone use it, but I thought it might be worth a try. GoTo Webinar
I Tried to use it on Microsoft edge and it didn't work, then I switched to Google Chrome and it worked.
Also keep in mind this webinar I believe is hosted by summit, so they're opinions could have some bias, I'm not sure.

A cam doesn’t have to cost $1500. I bought a 6.4 cam for my 5.7 for a little over $200, and the springs were like $150. Don’t have the numbers in front of me, just going off memory. Lifters will be $600+ if you buy factory one though, so I guess it does add up. I haven’t bought lifters yet.

Either way, almost certain you can turn MDS off electronically. The cars with Sport Mode did it from the factory when Sport Mode was on. But I can’t tell you which tuner module to buy to do it.

Will FORScan work on Mopars? I learned to use it working on my Ecoboost Mustang in the last month, I haven't tried it on anything else. If it does, it's easy to disabled the factory "as built" settings with a laptop. I'll look for a buddy with a modern Mopar and research it.

Pretty sure FORScan is Ford only. But AlfaOBD is a similar program and works well on late model Mopars. But I doubt it can turn off MDS, I think that is a PCM deal only and AlfaOBD is more about body module settings like to turn on Performance Pages.

-
Back