Brake Adjustment w/Posi

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
For those with a sure grip; what is technique you use to adjust rear drum brakes when you have a posi? With a regular rear end, I simply adjust and spin the drum until I hear some dragging. With the posi it is really difficult to spin the drum! Sorry guys, dumb question I know!

Adjust just until the shoe drags, then go out on the street and put in reverse, get to about 10 MPH and put on the brakes. That’s what the self adjusters are for...

Adjust just until the shoe drags, then go out on the street and put in reverse, get to about 10 MPH and put on the brakes. That’s what the self adjusters are for...
I have not used the self adjusters for 40 years. Don't trust them, so do my adjustments by ear. At least I did until I got a sure grip!

You really don’t need to spin a tire to adjust them. Take a thin blade screw driver, stick it thru the hole and pry the adjuster forward and backwards. Feel the play, adjust the wheel till there is just a little bit of front to rear movement of the adjuster. Works great. Done it this way since a old timer taught it to me some 50 years ago.

Copy. Then what do you have in the bottom of the shoes to replace the spinning adjusters?
The adjusters are there, but I've never relied on them to keep the brakes adjusted. First & last time I did it, it just seemed silly to go in reverse multiple times to adjust the brakes. When I do a brake inspection, I simply check for a little brake drag and a few clicks later it is done. No fuss, and no worry about the adjusters doing their job.

If you want to eliminate the self adjusters. Remove the cable, the arm that operates the star wheel and the spring. You then have to find a spring that goes from the bottom of one shoe to the bottom of the other. It also needs to rub against the star wheel to prevent it from tightening or loosening.

You really don’t need to spin a tire to adjust them. Take a thin blade screw driver, stick it thru the hole and pry the adjuster forward and backwards. Feel the play, adjust the wheel till there is just a little bit of front to rear movement of the adjuster. Works great. Done it this way since a old timer taught it to me some 50 years ago.
Do you put the screwdriver between the brake shoe and the adjuster swivel end (the one that has a notch in it to sit onto the shoe) to check the play?

No against the tooth part. Pry one direction using the backing plate slot, then move to the other side of the tooth part and pry the opposite way.

What your trying to check is how much back and forth movement you have in the adjuster, them adjust it out down to just a little movement. Hope your understanding what I be trying to say, eh?

What your trying to check is how much back and forth movement you have in the adjuster, them adjust it out down to just a little movement. Hope your understanding what I be trying to say, eh?
OK, got it. Thanks for the tip. Will give it a go!

one of the best tools in the box
Z_09yyfo5oy.JPG

-
Back