brake issue

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
66 273 MANUAL drum brake, single pot MC. It was a running project ( sorta) NO brakes, so I rebuilt ALL the brakes, and as in NEW MC, wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, hard and soft lines, bled it manually and all was good. Yard drove some, normal pedal and stop, the steering box is complete shot so it sat. It sat and when I did move it around the yard, the pedal got harder and harder, like rock hard now and yes it will stop. The pedal barely moves at all!
I have never had this happen in all my years. Whats up!?????

Back the four firewall bolts off a coupla turns, so the m/c is kinda loose.
Try the pedal.
I've had the pushrod to pedal bolt bind.
It's a special shouldered bolt, and the whole pushrod/pedal thing has to pivot freely.

I have seen this before on the white 62 4dr. Almost like the pedal rusted fast but isn't. never did figure this out. can't wait to hear some of the replies.

I bought the car at an auction cheap because the pedal didn't move. But found the brakes worked good. I had other 62's and the brakes were not way.

spoiler pics 613.jpg

scan0002[1].jpg

Last edited:
I have seen this before on the white 62 4dr. Almost like the pedal rusted fast but isn't. never did figure this out. can't wait to here some of the replies.that way

I bought the car at an auction cheap because the pedal didn't move. But found the brakes worked good. I had other 62's and the brakes were not way.

View attachment 1716300363

View attachment 1716300364
Really luv the 62s, thnx for pix

Try the pedal.
It's a special shouldered bolt, and the whole pushrod/pedal thing has to pivot freely.
I will try that tomorrow!!

Also when in there make sure the pushrod is adjusted properly.

Try the pedal.
Did that, I see no bind there. With the bolts loosened, the pedal will move about 1/2 inch or so.
Would this not have to be a situation where the piston on the MC is not moving all the way. Like I mentioned, when I rebuilt the brakes and bleed it, I had normal pedal action and brakes.
I will order a new MC. They are all probably rebuilt in China!

Did that, I see no bind there. With the bolts loosened, the pedal will move about 1/2 inch or so.
Would this not have to be a situation where the piston on the MC is not moving all the way. Like I mentioned, when I rebuilt the brakes and bleed it, I had normal pedal action and brakes.
I will order a new MC. They are all probably rebuilt in China!

He is not talking about bind, he is talking about length. If the PR is too long it will cause the master to lock up, because the ports in the bottom will not be past the improperly returned piston

He is not talking about bind, he is talking about length. If the PR is too long it will cause the master to lock up, because the ports in the bottom will not be past the improperly returned piston
But since, the brakes and pedal were fine at time of rebuild, can the rod be too long?
I guess an adjustable rod would be a good choice?? Dr. Diff??
If I pull the MC and put it in the vice for bench bleed, I will know of the Piston is moving normal, right?

Depending upon the master cylinder, if it was new or rebuilt and how long it sat, the bore of the master may have rust in it causing the problem.

Depending upon the master cylinder, if it was new or rebuilt and how long it sat, the bore of the master may have rust in it causing the problem.
Its a a single pot and it was a new one, not rebuilt. I always just buy rebuilds, why I bought the new one, probably figured it would be better!?:BangHead: No doubt made in China and maybe a Chinese rebuilt is better!!! :BangHead: I fire it up ever so often, and move it 10 feet or so, but it has sat, the steering gear is SO bad and I have a new one just hurt too bad to tackle it.
The starter is about toast, got to change that out, and when it does start, all of a sudden the carb now has issues, the carb has been great till just now!!! :BangHead:

-
Back