Brake lights and turn signal switch

-

dart_man440

Mopar 4 Life
Reaction score
Please educate me, I'm going Pulhair^* crazy trying to figure out why the brake lights on my 68 dart, console shift auto won't work. I checked the brake pedal switch, relays, fuses, grounds, bulbs and as far as I can tell the turn signal switch is working. I do have turn signals and running lights, just no brake lights when I step on the pedal. I was looking at replacing the turn signal switch, but the only one that I've been able to find has only 2 wires, mine has 7 or 8, I’m I missing something? I did a search but had no luck. Any help is as usual, greatly appreciated

Hi Had the same problem on my 1969 dart,make sure the ground in the trunk is ok. if you take off the drivers side kick panel there is a connector going to the trunk look for corrosion in the connector. I got a great colored wiring diagram from classic car wiring .com. also make sure the bulb holders are really clean were the bulb goes.

Had the same problem recently. Make sure all of the connections at the turn signal switch are tight and well insulated from one another. Also make sure that any paint or crud on the bulb housings is completely cleaned off.The housings ground to the metal of the body so you have to have good bare metal to metal contact. Finally(and this is the one that nearly killed me!) I had put in new bulb housings and both wires were black,I had the wires reversed! I kicked myself for days on that one! Good luck!

take a test light and put into one of the two wires in the brake light switch. 1 is constant hot, 1 is switched on when you press the pedal. if the non constant hot does not light up when you press the pedal, bad switch. if you don't have a test light, take a short piece of wire, jumper the 2 wires at the brake switch and if the brake lights come on, bad switch.

I had the same problem...your probably not getting power through one of your brake switch wires...the one that doesn't is ran through the turn signal switch...if your turn signal switch is bad then the wire on ur brake witch won't get power...I think its a red and one white wire...my white wire wasn't getting electrical current.

hope you fix it! I scared a lot of people on the sttreet when I stopped and had no lights haha

I had the same problem, ended up being the hazard flasher switch, it was imtermitten, pulled it out and wiggled it and got the lights to work, both turn signal switch and hazard switch are a complete assy, Hope this helps
Larry

-
Back