Brake pedal course

-

Martin Gendron

Reaction score
Hello.
On my '63 Dart, I recently installed a power brake assembly; the 1967 period with the dual-chamber master cylinder.

The issue is the pedal course being too low to the floor; less than 2 inches, which I find yields to a disconcerting driving.

I tried adjusting the pin between the booster and the master cylinder. That did not work: 1 and a half additional turn will have the shoes to drag heavily. One turn and a half less turn has everything working fine except for the pedal diving too low once again.

My suspicion is the booster belonging to the next generation needs a longer rod under the dashboard between the pedal and booster to accomodate to the earlier generation. While the travel of the pedal would be the same, at less it wouldn't dive so low.

Any feedback will help

longer rod under the dashboard
Yes. Mine was a 63 Valiant. The booster kit came with a bracket/rod and my pedal was too high.
I had to shorten mine. 1/4'' was too much and then the pedal was too low:BangHead:
I called mine a bracket because it wasn't a rod but flat strap steel.I ended up making mine adjustable by slotting the bracket. Took some playing around but got it where I liked it. I think the one I bought was Pirate Jacks booster kit.

Adjust the brakes.
A lotta pedal travel can be wasted just moving the shoes out to the drum, - then you get "pedal".
Adjust the shoes out closer to drum, you get pedal sooner.

2 things...

1. The pushrod into the master need to be adjusted correctly the later factory service manual has a the procedure.
  2. The pushrod under the dash sets the pedal height.
I goofed... You need a longer pushrod to raise the pedal.

Last edited:
Adjust the brakes.
A lotta pedal travel can be wasted just moving the shoes out to the drum, - then you get "pedal".
Adjust the shoes out closer to drum, you get pedal sooner.
This can be tested easily when driving. Get moving 25 mph or faster, apply the brakes, then let off the pedal and get right back on the pedal again. If the pedal height comes up the the adjustment is too loose. If no change then the adjustment is fine.

-
Back