Brakes are dragging on my 69 Barracuda

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
I have a 69 Barracuda with the factory power disc brake setup (Kelsey-Hayes). I drove it last night and all seemed fine so I drove it to work today and noticed the brakes dragging when I got to work. The rears are 10" drum. I'm running the factory combo valve setup. Any idea what the problem may be?

Is it just one brake or one end of the car or both ends that is/are dragging.

If it is just one front brake, it sounds like a caliper that is not retracting all the way and neeeds to be rebuilt.

My guess would be you have a restriction in your line/lines. This will allow pressure in, but then not allow it to fully return which would cause drag. Might also want to check your brake pedal and make sure it is returning all the way. Try pulling back on it. Have you replaced your master cylinder lately, or anything that may affect your brake's push rod length? Your rear line will always have some pressure in it to keep pressure on the wheel cylinder.

Also are you positive it's your brakes? Could your car just feel underpowered?

Check the check valve on your booster. When it clogs it can cause drag.

My guess would either be a piston is hanging up or the rubber hose is collapsed inside.

Has the car been parked for any length of time?? Does the rubber under the Master cylinder cap seem to be swollen or mishapen?

Sticking calipers is why I dont like the 4 piston design. Ormaybe I just like like rebuilding those things.
New stainless steel pistons will help if/when it comes down to rebuild the calipers.

No the pistons are not sticking. It turns out the pushrod between the master and the booster was not adjusted properly. I had just reinstalled the master last week and should have known better. As soon as I loosened it up the brakes freed up.

-
Back