Brand new 1974 Gold Duster full exhaust system with resonator.

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi All: Here's a photo of the new full exhaust system I just installed in my slant six 1974 Gold Duster. I want my car to be completely original, and the existing exhaust system was far from correct. My research indicated that all 1974 Dusters with the A64 Gold Duster package automatically came with the A91 Deluxe Insulation Package. This package, among other things, included the exhaust noise reduction which meant that it came from the factory with a resonator in the tailpipe. I've never seen a resonator on a Duster, so I researched it and was able to acquire a complete system from Waldron Exhaust who found me a correct muffler and resonator for my car. I had an exhaust shop install it, and it's really cool. Has a very different and muffled sound at idle, and you can barely hear the engine at highway speed. Just thought I'd post this and see if anyone else uses a resonator in their A-Body exhaust. Thanks! BOB

IMG_1142.jpg

Last edited:
Has a very different and muffled sound at idle, and you can barely hear the engine at highway speed. Just thought I'd post this and see if anyone else uses a resonator in their A-Body exhaust.
Hey @cruiser when I purchased my 75 valiant a bit over a year ago it still had the original exhaust on it including the resonator and yes it was incredibly quiet. I actually had strangers in parking lots mention how surprisingly quiet it was given the car's age etc. But since it's my daily it eventually gave way to age and I had to take it out to get through inspection and I ended up doing a 2.25 front to back.
I didn't know such a close to original option existed. Very cool! Fantastic look'n car!

That’s a nice looking Duster!!! Let’s see some more pictures of it!

Nice car and really cool about the exhaust!

Okay, Duster fans. By popular demand, here are two more exhaust system photos of my Duster. I bought the car in April of 2019 from the third owner in Portland OR. Found the original owner who purchased it new in December of 1973, and owned it until 2006. Very nice fella, and before the car went onto the transporter to bring it to its new home in Minneapolis, I invited him to meet me at the car, whereupon he told me the story of owning it for all of those years. And yes, I captured the conversation on video, and still stay in contact with him. BTW, those are the factory original 14 inch Rallye wheels, and the car still has its original spare steel wheel with its factory original paint job.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Man! What a Cherry car. And Thank you for the information on the Exhaust! I will contact Waldron .

I worked at a Phillip's 66 station in Texas MANY yeas ago.

Hi Guys: Thanks for the compliments on the car. There are MANY nice A bodies out there - a lot of them far nicer than mine. But I'll go ahead and create a photo garage with the story of my car. One piece of advice about the Waldron exhaust. The guy at Waldron said that I could install it myself. I'm pretty mechanical, but that little voice in the back of my mind said "Nope. Better have a pro do this one". Glad I did, as the very skilled exhaust guy that did my car had to do a significant amount of bending of the Waldron pipes, and also had to add a small additional segment into the tailpipe to make it work. Would have been a disaster if I had tried to do it in my garage. Word to the wise.

I had two Dusters years back with 318’s that were also equipped with the rear tail pipe resonator. Not SUPER quite but very much so quite. The engine made more noise. You could about whisper and be heard in the car. That was normal as far as I am concerned.

-
Back