Brand New 7290 U-Joint Failure

-
If the caps stay in the saddles, the strap-type works fine.
For a 4000rpm drop, the pinion needs to be at or near the same angle as the driveshaft, at the hit, so there is no force pulling the caps out.
So,
IMO,
the pinion angle is set up correctly.
your opinion is wrong.
lol.
IMO, you need to set your chassis height up, with jacks and blocks, to simulate a launch ; then jack the pinion up and see where it goes. And see what happens to the springs.
If the pinion over-rotates, things break.
Just for the heckuvit check the welds on your perches.

If the caps stay in the saddles, the strap-type works fine.
For a 4000rpm drop, the pinion needs to be at or near the same angle as the driveshaft, at the hit, so there is no force pulling the caps out.
So,
IMO,

your opinion is wrong.
lol.
IMO, you need to set your chassis height up, with jacks and blocks, to simulate a launch ; then jack the pinion up and see where it goes. And see what happens to the springs.
If the pinion over-rotates, things break.
Just for the heckuvit check the welds on your perches.

Yes but this is a street car and I set the pinion according to a tech at Mark Williams. Its rare that I do the 4K drops but which did not break it, it was the 1, 2 shift, no tires spinning.

Yes but this is a street car and I set the pinion according to a tech at Mark Williams. Its rare that I do the 4K drops but which did not break it, it was the 1, 2 shift, no tires spinning.
I estimate the mtr is 425 to 450 on the power.
I have 255/60-15 drag radials running on 3:23 gears 489 case.
I want me some of those tires
cuz at 433hp, my engine smokes 325/50-15 BFG DRs to over 80 mph, with 3.55s; leaving with a 2.2 or slower in the 60ft.

check the yoke nut, is it good n tight??? had same issue ended up the yoke nut loosen'd up to the point pinion was bottoming out against the carrier and binding up enuff to chunk the shaft, noticed all new hardware on u-joint so this was a reoccurring issue i bought, took chunk'in the shaft on that hot 1-2 shift 2 times for i figured it out!

check the yoke nut, is it good n tight??? had same issue ended up the yoke nut loosen'd up to the point pinion was bottoming out against the carrier and binding up enuff to chunk the shaft, noticed all new hardware on u-joint so this was a reoccurring issue i bought, took chunk'in the shaft on that hot 1-2 shift 2 times for i figured it out!

Cant get it off.

Problem is 3.23 gears.
3:91s going in next week and a little smaller radial tire. 26" tall instead of 27. The drag radials will be sold. at my age I only street drive. But then again look where it broke. The dumbasses at the drive shaft shop put a combo u joint on a 1330 flange on the new drive shaft. It has a 7290 and a 1330 caps. The 1330 caps are 1/16 smaller then the 7290. What irks me is they didnt call to see if I was Ok with it. I would have said get the right part, I dont want any stinkin Cheby parts on my car. Its a long drive over there that I really dont want to make, twice.:elmer:

Problem is 3.23 gears.
3:91s going in next week and a little smaller radial tire. 26" tall instead of 27. The drag radials will be sold. at my age I only street drive. But then again look where it broke. The dumbasses at the drive shaft shop but a combo u joint on a 1330 flange on the new drive shaft. It has a 7290 and a 1330 caps. The 1330 caps are 1/16 smaller then the 7290. What irks me is they didnt call to see if I was Ok with. I would have said get the right part, I dont want any stinkin Cheby parts on my car. Its a long drive over there that I really dont want to make, twice.
Problem is 3.23 gears.

Got the pinion nut off today. raised it up high on the passenger side then pulled the wheel and used my pipe wrench and a long breakkover. Pushed with both feet and it cracked loose. :icon_fU::icon_fU:

-
Back