Brass exhaust washers

-

Duggie

Reaction score
Just got the \6 - 64 Dart of the transport truck today and found the front exhaust stud broken off. Who sells the washers and hardware?

Thanks! :thankyou:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lemmie go look. I think I have a couple. BRB

Just got the \6 - 64 Dart of the transport truck today and found the front exhaust stud broken off. Would anyone have one of the the fabled outside exhaust manifold brass washer and nut I can buy?

PM me your address. I have a nut and a washer.

Gotta be pretty generic stuff.

Believe it or don't they're actually pretty specific. The washer has a bevel on the inside that the special nut fits down into.

Believe it or don't they're actually pretty specific. The washer has a bevel on the inside that the special nut fits down into.
Ya I don't know squat about it. Cool that you can bail him out. Sounds like something I would spend 8 hours trying to re-engineer instead of coming on here and hitting someone up for help.

Ya I don't know squat about it. Cool that you can bail him out. Sounds like something I would spend 8 hours trying to re-engineer instead of coming on here and hitting someone up for help.

I'm sure a lot of people have.....but if you use the wrong stuff on those manifolds, it likely will not allow them to "move" ever so slightly as they expand and contract. That's pretty important.

You said the stud broke. Were you able to get it out of the head? That can be a real pain.
Haven't drilled one out in probably over 40 years. I've read on here about heating (with propane?) and touching bees wax to the broken stud to help it ease out. figure I'll do my best to center punch it and maybe use a reverse pitch drill bit, then an easy out if need be.

Yep, when I first read about "the brass washer" I figured I'd cut the end off my brass drift and make one. Then learned about the concave impression on one side of the flat.

Haven't drilled one out in probably over 40 years. I've read on here about heating (with propane?) and touching bees wax to the broken stud to help it ease out. figure I'll do my best to center punch it and maybe use a reverse pitch drill bit, then an easy out if need be.

I tell you what I'd do. I would mig weld a nut on the end of the stud and then back it out of the head. But you do it however you feel comfortable. Good luck. That can be an issue. I'll get your stuff out tomorrow if I can and send a tracking number.

I tell you what I'd do. I would mig weld a nut on the end of the stud and then back it out of the head. But you do it however you feel comfortable. Good luck. That can be an issue. I'll get your stuff out tomorrow if I can and send a tracking number.
I've heard of people doing that on aluminum boat motors before. I'll look to do that first if I can. Thanks again for the part! I've read over and over about how finicky these manifold seals are.

Good plan. I always start out with a NEW 1/8 inch bit. Gets you centered well. Ultimately might end up drillling it all of the way to the threads.

Ok, I got all three pieces for you. The stud, nut and washer. Don't forget those two end studs go through to water......hell, they all might.....I don't remember, but I KNOW the two end ones do, so make sure to coat the stud with a sealer. I always use red high temp RTV because it seals AND keeps the stud from seizing up and breaking off again. Also, it does not need to be very tight. 15 LB FT at the most. Lastly, lube outer threads up with something like anti seize compound. That way everything will come back apart if need be later on down the road. If we don't get to town tomorrow, it'll go out Saturday.....but I am pretty positive we're going to town tomorrow.

melted crayon works also. Is there a freeze plug nearby that you could soak it from the backside?(if it's like a small block)

I'm going to regret never learning to weld more then once playing with this car...

It is running super rich and feels like its idling on 5 cylinders. Hopefully the head stays on after messing with it this weekend...

Thanks for the tips and especially for that magic brass washer!

I got mine through the local hardware store, I've been runnin it for over 20 years now with no problems. I guess some are more anal then others about stuff?? Good Luck

I got mine through the local hardware store, I've been runnin it for over 20 years now with no problems. I guess some are more anal then others about stuff?? Good Luck

Maybe, or maybe you're just lucky. :)

The washer has a countersink that the "special, split acorn nut" seats into. The nut goes on and looks upside down since the acorn part points towards the washer. They don't make them any more but you can find variants that will work. Similar design, but not exact copies.

Just got the \6 - 64 Dart of the transport truck today and found the front exhaust stud broken off. Who sells the washers and hardware?

I edited your title and first post. You should have started a wanted thread. Thanks

Maybe, or maybe you're just lucky. :)

The washer has a countersink that the "special, split acorn nut" seats into. The nut goes on and looks upside down since the acorn part points towards the washer. They don't make them any more but you can find variants that will work. Similar design, but not exact copies.
It's called a conical washer. The parts guy may look at you like your a idiot when they won't/don't know what the definition of conical is. Good Luck

HA! Ya think? I'm pretty sure the reason a buddy from work hasn't acknowledged the '64 i found is that it's not an original restoration. Nice guy, but he has his comfort zone. :poke:

It's called a conical washer. The parts guy may look at you like your a idiot when they won't/don't know what the definition of conical is. Good Luck

No, the end ones are not conical. The two end washers are brass and flat, with a bevel on the I.D. on one side for the special nut to fit inside of. Some of the other washers are conical, but not the two on the ends.

-
Back