break light electrical

-

'66Dart

Reaction score
Could my right brake light not be workin because a bad connection in my steering wheel?

On another note, i only have 7 volts on my coil with key on engine off, is that where its supposed to be? Car wont start but cranks.

Any help would be great.

very possible. my 69 dart rr tail light would not work and a buddy traced it down to the new turn signal switch. it still goes out if the switch is just in the right spot. dont ask me, you need someone alot smarter than me to explain wiring. there are a few members here that can help if you dont figure it out. The coil voltage is reduced with the ceramic ballast resister on the firewall.

if your left tail light works, then it is a grounding issue. check the ground to the light bulb assembly, these cars are so old that the ground tends to go bad, the whole vehicle is used as ground. the brake switch carries the 12v to the brakelight bulbs once the contact is closed when the brakes are used.

Not a bad connection in the steering wheel but below it in the signal switch.
Brake lamp power should go up the column on a white wire and come back out toward the rear lights on yellow and green. Only when the signal switch is in its centered position though. When that switch is moved to left or right turn positions the coreponding green or yellow wire gets its power from the signal circuit.

Yes the coil should get 7 to 8 volts in run and 12 volts only when switch is in start position.

Thanks guys, I will check the ground at the brake light soon. but I think I already manually grounded it the other day and it still didn't work.

Yeah, I tested the voltage at the coil during cranking and the voltage went up, but still no start. I have fuel/air, what else would it be? Started and ran the day before but the next day it just cranked and no fire? Is there something I'm missing??????

Thanks

brake lights both work now, not sure what I did besides tracing wires (bad connection somewhere). Now just for the ingnition.

-
Back