Brodix B1BA heads...

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
Have asked about these heads in the past....well...things are slowly getting more turned upside down in my world so...
One of the things that was mentioned in my previous questions was these heads require custom headers. Well...lets just assume that one way or the other I am going to need custom headers so remove that from the equation.
I am well aware that these may not be the best choice but considering that I already own them...and don't have bottomless pits for pockets...seriously considering using them.
Thinking that it may be time to give up on my motorcycle plans and just finish my Dart...
CIMG0996.JPG

Before you ask...I don't have a set ET/MPH I want to run. What I can tell you is that the car is going to be a street car that sees some track time. I just want the car to be a running, drive-able car before I end up in a box on a shelf somewhere.
Car will have a 4l80E in it...that is what it is set up for so that is what will end up under it. Car will also have EFI. Probably a Holley Terminator X system.
The heads I have are not drilled for an alternator mount. Did read somewhere that the heads can be drilled so that is not a problem.
Anyone use these heads, on a street/strip car out of the box? If so, how did they work. According to the Brodix site:
"If using a standard 340 or 360 block, standard adjustable Chrysler rocker arms may be used with special B1 stands."
I have not done that much digging but I have yet to see these "special B1 stands" any place. Anyone know anything about them?
Funds permitting I would probably buy a set of Trick Flow...or E-brock heads...but are they going to be worth the $$ I will have to put out?
Please...spare me the "you are going to be spending a ton of $$ on the EFI" so why not just get the Trick Flow/E-brock heads" type of comments.

Custom headers? The don’t think so.
Contact King Vern, I think he is selling a entire engine with those Brodix heads.

Double check at Brodix.com

If they are the B1BA heads they use standard Mopar SB headers. The can be used with either Mopar SB shafts and rockers or Chevy pedestals and rockers. If you have questions about them email Scott at dskoffel@aol.com Koffel's place he does all things with Brodix Mopar heads. If you have the B1MC then you are talking about different headers, intake, and valve gear. These are like the Mopar W2 heads. If you consider selling them let me know!

I had some on a 408 in a 74 Swinger. They were milled pretty heavily, but, the ports were out of the box stock. Compression on that 408 was 15-1. Car was all steel and windows all glass. Fiberglass bumpers front and rear. 28x10.5 slicks and 4.56 gear. On a "normal for where I run" day(track DA usually at about 3500-4000 ft.), it would click off consistent 11.30's. Ususally an 11.37. I should add, these were just the BA's. NOT the MC's.

Last edited:
@inkjunkie If ya got them, run them unless a sale to Clinton Carter is your path. Then, roll the money over into another head set.

Which set is it you have exactly? Is it the MC?

About 8 years ago, my boss took on a job to install an HO340 into a 71 Challenger. It did not go well. The customer insisted on the B1-BA heads. At that time there were no headers for that combo. I told my boss that, before we started. Apparently the kid commissioning the job had plenty of cash, and my boss had the "I can weld anything" attitude, so B1-BAs it would be.
Well, it took 3 sets of headers before Mr. I can weld anything got it done. 3 sets of TTIs because the customer specified them.
I was just the installer.
And it had to be a 4-speed with a pistol grip and console. and a Scattershield.
I can't tell you how many times that engine was in and out, except to say it was a lotta times. I had to tweak everything except the trans mount.... cuz the shifter position was fixed.
Now; bare in mind this was an E-body .......................
And, at the time, I was 58 and in pretty darn good shape. I spent many hours laying on my back, on the creeper, tweaking.
So, please forgive me, but I highly recommend you re-access this position;
Well...lets just assume that one way or the other I am going to need custom headers so remove that from the equation.
I am well aware that these may not be the best choice but considering that I already own them...and don't have bottomless pits for pockets
and you ain't 58 anymore. and IIRC, not in perfect health either.

BTW, that 340 ended up making 497dyno hp, but we put a pretty big, for street, cam in it, and of course custom valve gear.
It left on a trailer, and I never saw it again, even tho the kid who owns it lives about a mile from the shop.

Good heads. As mentioned you can buy the Brodix rocker stands or use a stud mount rocker.

Don't let the header issue get in your way. I would think a call to TTI would get the ball rolling . You won't see them listed in a Jegs catalog but millions of parts are not.

On my deal, I had 1 3/4 tube headers. They had the "stock" shape port. They fit over, or surrounded if you will, the ports on the heads. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it worked.

Have asked about these heads in the past....well...things are slowly getting more turned upside down in my world so...
One of the things that was mentioned in my previous questions was these heads require custom headers. Well...lets just assume that one way or the other I am going to need custom headers so remove that from the equation.
I am well aware that these may not be the best choice but considering that I already own them...and don't have bottomless pits for pockets...seriously considering using them.
Thinking that it may be time to give up on my motorcycle plans and just finish my Dart...View attachment 1715554305
Before you ask...I don't have a set ET/MPH I want to run. What I can tell you is that the car is going to be a street car that sees some track time. I just want the car to be a running, drive-able car before I end up in a box on a shelf somewhere.
Car will have a 4l80E in it...that is what it is set up for so that is what will end up under it. Car will also have EFI. Probably a Holley Terminator X system.
The heads I have are not drilled for an alternator mount. Did read somewhere that the heads can be drilled so that is not a problem.
Anyone use these heads, on a street/strip car out of the box? If so, how did they work. According to the Brodix site:
"If using a standard 340 or 360 block, standard adjustable Chrysler rocker arms may be used with special B1 stands."
I have not done that much digging but I have yet to see these "special B1 stands" any place. Anyone know anything about them?
Funds permitting I would probably buy a set of Trick Flow...or E-brock heads...but are they going to be worth the $$ I will have to put out?
Please...spare me the "you are going to be spending a ton of $$ on the EFI" so why not just get the Trick Flow/E-brock heads" type of comments.

The stands are similar to a race W2 set up. Just machined blocks the allow the height of the rocker shaft to be changed for correcting geometry.
67FB0A1A-8FA1-4B8B-954E-4CE68E35737D.jpeg

Hey, Ink. Your inbox is full. I have something you might be interested in. I don't foresee me using them again.

Are those "spec" heads?
I don’t believe so, but I don’t know details on their history. Someone had them on a drag car. Adapters on exhaust ports appear to fit W2 or W5 headers.
Will be a while before I use them, but I hope to.

torringtons with W2 style rockers?
did op ever find the specs on the stands? are they available or have to be made (anyone have the dimensions, a not impossible task)
Mike at B3 have any esperience with these?
Was there an unequiviqual post on which versions of the B1 heads?
looks like the header interface provides some revesion prevention :)
you might want to post some pics, like on the adapters
op even if you own these heads get all your ducks in a row before spending any money, these type of projects can always involve surprises
do you have rockers (I forget, what ratios?)

Got a good friend running ported B1BA heads on a 70 Duster
3100 pounds with driver. Roller cam( low 260’s@ 50)
Hair over 12 to 1. 904
Been 10.20’s at 128-129
My brother also has a set ready to go on his 66 Dart real soon replacing Eddies. Stroker as well with flat tappet cam.
I would rate well done B1BA’s slightly better than well done Eddies. Maybe 20-25 horse better, all things being the same.

IIRC the "spec" heads flow 280 on the intake...good for 650HP? That's what most of the dirt track guys claim.

IIRC the "spec" heads flow 280 on the intake...good for 650HP? That's what most of the dirt track guys claim.

Sounds very optimistic.
Takes a lot of squeeze and good port work for a W5 to get there. Brodix is a good bit less head than that.
Guess it depends on the bench.
Show me that head going 135 in a 3300 pound car and i will start to believe...lol

Krooser
Do you know Shorty Medlock?
You W2 guys need to get together
Yeah....that's ME!

Had an issue logging in on my wifi so I had to reregister with a new user name.

Now when I log in it's usually back to Krooser but if my router choses my second channel I become Shorty Medlock again... Wondering if I need two drivers licenses....

Yeah....that's ME!

Had an issue logging in on my wifi so I had to reregister with a new user name.

Now when I log in it's usually back to Krooser but if my router choses my second channel I become Shorty Medlock again... Wondering if I need two drivers licenses....
Do u have a split personality? Kim

Bi...meaning you can drive a vehicle with a manual transmission and an automatic equipped vehicle WITHOUT stabbing the firewall with your left foot when starting or stopping. RMVB's and clutchflites are a whole different breed.

-
Back