Bucket Seat and Floor Shift Conversion

-

DJones942013

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp 318/904. It originally had a bench seat and I just today started to mount the bucket seats I bought at the Mopar Nationals. The seats are supposedly out of a 1973 Scamp. I found the dimples in the floor where the factory would have mounted bucket seats and drilled to two outer holes and they fit fine. But found that the inner studs on the seat track was not even close to the dimples in the floor and the seat track on the console side sits way higher the the floor after the door side studs are through the drilled holes. I know AMD makes a bucket seat reinforcement plates. Does that correct the height problem or Did Chrysler changed the floor or seat mounting in 73? Also, I want to changed my car to a floor shift and can not find anything for the conversion since mine is a 904. I have found a few 727 kits unless I read them wrong. Any tips, information, or personal experiences with either of these problems I am running into would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

pics ??

the fact that the inner studs were not even close, makes me wonder what went wrong

Two possibilities, the seats are not what you thought or there is a significant difference between 72/73 seat rails. Alaskan TA may know.

a 73 scamp with buckets is like finding a bucktooth hen ....I would bet you are going to have a wrestling match with those seats

Two possibilities, the seats are not what you thought or there is a significant difference between 72/73 seat rails. Alaskan TA may know.

I just did a conversion but in a 72 Duster. Here is what I learned.....

There were 4 Dimples in the Floor for the Tracks. The Reinforcement Plates were nothing special and if you have minimal Fab Skills just make them. The original holes for the Bench just get Plugged. But I also used 72 Seats so there could be an issue there....

The Console/Shifter came out of a 904 Car and it all bolted up to my 727. There is a video somewhere on Youtube that a guy did with good measurements for bracket placement and it was spot on.

You should have 4 dimples in your floor for the seats but someone else will chime in that has the knowledge....

HTH,
JW

I believe the floor changed some when catalytic converters came in to play. Not sure of the first year was 73 or 74.

Last edited:
I believe the floor changed some when catalytic converters came in to play. Not sure of the first year was 73 of 74.
That would make sense because the stud is roughly an inch away from the dimple giving more clearance for a converter. The guy I bought them from said they were out of a 73 Scamp, I have no way to prove that right or wrong. I figured they were out of a Duster, because the pattern of the covers match a 73-74 Duster seat, and I have never seen a Scamp with factory bucket seats so I assumed that was kind of like finding the holy grail of Scamps.

Thank you slopar72, for the info on the conversion you have done. I've got the measurements for the console off a post on here. I just was not sure about buying the 727 floor shift parts for mine, because I was not sure they would work for a 904 but sound to me like that are interchangeable.

That would make sense because the stud is roughly an inch away from the dimple giving more clearance for a converter. The guy I bought them from said they were out of a 73 Scamp, I have no way to prove that right or wrong. I figured they were out of a Duster, because the pattern of the covers match a 73-74 Duster seat, and I have never seen a Scamp with factory bucket seats so I assumed that was kind of like finding the holy grail of Scamps.

Thank you slopar72, for the info on the conversion you have done. I've got the measurements for the console off a post on here. I just was not sure about buying the 727 floor shift parts for mine, because I was not sure they would work for a 904 but sound to me like that are interchangeable.

AlaskianTA is probably the one on the site who will know the deal. He seems to know alot about the seat configurations on these cars. Maybe PM him if he doesn't chime in....

JW

-
Back