Build That Engine Run Stand

-

George Jets

1967 Dart 2 Door
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have been wanting an Engine Run Stand, so time to get to building one.

20200628_182420.jpg

20200628_161415.jpg

20200628_182238.jpg

20200628_182315(0).jpg

Are you going to provide any engine front support?

Are you going to provide any engine front support?

For Sure, extendable tubes from the Truck 318 engine mounts down to the run stand frame. Putting a long threaded bolt in the upper end for height adjustments and different engines with different mounts.

Pretty much mocking things up right now as I think through this.

Want to do the assemblies so I can break it down and stack the run stand against the wall when it is done so it won't take up a lot of space, and still be able to use the heavy duty engine stand for building engines.

Thinking through everything is the hard part, once the plan is down, the actual building is fun. Enjoy seeing things come together.

When I run across a cheap auto bell housing, im gonna make one myself. already got the spare rad and starter and headers...maybe run a remote rad with a fan so I wont have to mess with a rotating fan on the front.

Weld a couple of capture plates on the legs at your stand, drill horizontal holes and run a bolt through to secure.

Love the idea of breaking it all down to a set of tubes leaning against the wall. Normal run stands take up a ton of space. A buddy has one hanging in the rafters of his garage!

Same at the Rad support bars. That leg from stand to support, drill a vertical hole and secure.
Then put a tab on that leg to capture the support upright, drill horizontal and bolt.

Maybe put another tab on the upright to hold onto the crossbar under the supports. It would have 2 bolts per upright.. plus the long leg bolt to support crossbar.

Lower it closer to the ground, it is going to rock alot side to side.

qWlNDr.jpg

I admit it, I"m a redneck LOL. Did this for a quick engine fire up and test. Carb adapted to a Magnum LOL Ignition is an GM HEI in the box with an old coil mounted, and some "clip" leads. Front of the engine blocked up on wood and blocks

LMFAO Anybody figure out what this is?

img_1036-jpg-jpg.jpg

That is a nice picture of your design there, like how you did that.
Thanks, unless it is jacked up enough to get the wheels off the ground, it will take off across the garage floor.

Thanks, unless it is jacked up enough to get the wheels off the ground, it will take off across the garage floor.

I am lucky here, I have 18 in floor pulling pots for straightening car frames from years gone by. Can chain it down to the floor if I feel the need.

Mines more of a K frame holder than engine stand.
Its hanging on the wall of the shop when not in use, mostly out of the way.
100_6075.JPG
100_6209.JPG
100_6206.JPG

Weld a couple of capture plates on the legs at your stand, drill horizontal holes and run a bolt through to secure.

Love the idea of breaking it all down to a set of tubes leaning against the wall. Normal run stands take up a ton of space. A buddy has one hanging in the rafters of his garage!

Following your lead @crackedback

Front engine support mounts.

20200629_154550.jpg

20200629_154658.jpg

20200629_155443.jpg

Nice to have some used shocks around to cut apart for engine mount parts.

20200629_133527.jpg

Now next is to mock up the radiator, clutch fan and shroud at "Factory Height" in relation to the water pump shaft.

Want the option to put the factory 7 blade fan on it to really pull some air through the radiator if I want to, sitting here in the shop is not like driving them down the road to keep them running cool.

After having the radiator positioned, I have a couple electric fans to check out for an electric fan setup as another option too.

20200629_110622.jpg

I just realized i have a manual trans bellhousing,that might fit the bill for a run stand. Will an auto torque convertor fit in there i wonder?
The flywheel is off a poly engine so it wont work.

I just realized i have a manual trans bellhousing,that might fit the bill for a run stand. Will an auto torque convertor fit in there i wonder?

Is the Poly a Neutral Balance 130 tooth flywheel? If so and it bolts to the crank then can use for 318s.

Neutral balance flywheels can be used with the external balanced 360s too with one of these Balance Plates I got from Summit.

20200626_143354.jpg

Is the Poly a Neutral Balance 130 tooth flywheel? If so and it bolts to the crank then can use for 318s.
Different bolt pattern.
Neutral balance flywheels can be used with the external balanced 360s too with one of these Balance Plates I got from Summit.

View attachment 1715553730
Different bolt pattern.

I was thinking about the automatic torque converter as an option too, but there is no support for it for where it would go into the front transmission pump. Would be dangerous running that heavy converter hanging just on the thin automatic flex plate.

I would say no, want to play it safe.

Guess i could visit machine shop with my flex plate and flywheel and get it drilled. He likes a challenge.

Guess i could visit machine shop with my flex plate and flywheel and get it drilled. He likes a challenge.

I like that thinking . . makes this stuff fun, figuring out how to make things work with what you have available for parts.

I like that thinking . . makes this stuff fun, figuring out how to make things work with what you have available for parts.
Im not dumping a bunch of money on what i would call a prototype. Then i dont feel so bad if its a failure. And its my thing, repurposing otherwise useless stuff.

I was thinking about the automatic torque converter as an option too, but there is no support for it for where it would go into the front transmission pump. Would be dangerous running that heavy converter hanging just on the thin automatic flex plate.

I would say no, want to play it safe.

Nowhere. Call Precision of New Hampton. Tell them you want the front half only of whatever converter you need. It will fit right inside a manual bellhousing. I would order one weighted for external balance. That way, you can drill a hole right through the center of the weight, knock the welds off and have a bolt on weight for external or internal balance.

couple of box fans on a table, boxes or chairs... They re-purpose easily

I wouldn't go all fancy on electric fans on the stand radiator. Hillbilly all the way!

couple of box fans on a table, boxes or chairs... They re-purpose easily

I wouldn't go all fancy on electric fans on the stand radiator. Hillbilly all the way!
Got an old furnace fan, that will chuck enough air.

$15 box fan did the job for me.
neutral flywheel with correct flexplate sandwiched. Washer/spacer btwn bell and block.
Summertime break-in plus a few hours with no heat problems.

-
Back