Bushings

-

FEATHERDUSTER76

The Feather Duster is Mopar's Light Weight
Reaction score
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. On the shiftier floor type automatic. Where the shift handle pivots at the bottom there are plastic bushings. Would they last longer ,work better if the bushing was made of the same stuff as the bushing that comes with the hinge pin rebuild kit. Here are pictures of what I'm talking about. I ask because I had the hinge rebuild kits and forgot that I had them and I ordered new ones that I put on and took an extra one reamed the inside down to fit the other shiftier I had what do You all think Thanks 76 F.D.

Duster consule rebuild 057.JPG

Duster consule rebuild 056.JPG

Bronze bushings are definitely the way to go over plastic on this application & will probably never wear out. It was, most likely, a lot cheaper to do plastic bushings than bronze & they also may have had plastic bushings of that exact size the already that the factory used for something else too, like other linkages on the auto transmission etc.
Knowing the right people, machinists for example, & having the proper tools make doing stuff like you did pretty easy & the way it should have been done. Nice job.
Replacing the steering shaft bushings with needle bearings instead of plastic is way better too & not difficult if you already have the column out.

Thanks for all the replies . It took awhile to ream the bushing so it would fit . I did this with a Dremel and a small grinding wheel but now I know I going to take the time to make another bushing to fit the other side. I'm changing to floor shift from column and now I will not have to find the plastic

-
Back