Caliper bolt anti-rattle clip

-

3406pk

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to buy 4 of these spring clips. I have searched all vendors I can think of. These are for 72 Dodge Challenger. I have found them with full caliper set, but not alone. I have used a coil spring but it will limit travel as pad wears. Thanks
20201116_175754.jpg

Last edited:
kinda pricey but they are out there. the first ebay link may be the cheapest with bonus hardware.

I think I had a thread on FEBO a couple months ago - trying to locate the (B/E-body) caliper pins. Couldn't find anything listed - even Rockauto. Anyway, I confirmed my suspicions that there were two different styles of pins - at least for Challengers and Barracudas. Seems that the anti-rattle clips and wire/spring clip were eliminated after the 1972 model year, and, the caliper pins became shorter. My '71 Challenger had these parts while my '73 and '74 cars did not. My current '73 has original pins and they are shorter so cannot accept either the clips or the wire spring. So, about two months ago when detailing the '73 front brakes, I decided to replace the pins, as they showed wear at the point where they pass thru the pad plates. I could not find them readily - especially the later (shorter) style. The only listing on Rockauto I could find was when I typed in a number from about 20 years ago. It is No. H5017-2 by Cooper/Wagner. I purchased four and confirmed the difference to the later version when side by side. They fit the same as OEM but just stick out a little more inside and outside. (see pics). Bottom pic has original (shorter) pins. From what I could determine, there was no need for the clips or the spring so Mopar just eliminated them - and shortened the caliper pins - after the '72 model year. The pin bushings and wire clip are readily available - but not the shorter pins. Point of all this is you should not need the extra parts for your '72 since the calipers are same as later years. Rumor has it also that the metal clips (next to the hex end of the pin) were not there to reduce or eliminate any 'rattle' - but only to keep the larger bushing from working its way out of the bore. IF this bush has a 'flange' on both ends, it will stay in place in the caliper and therefore no need for the metal clips. And, when I installed the new/longer pins, I had three choices: install the long wire 'clip' that hooks onto the pointy ends of the pins - or- cut off the extra length that sticks out of the small bushes - or - install these longer pins 'as-is' - and this is what I did.

IMG_2529.jpg

IMG_2532 (3).JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

Last edited:
They are actually not anti rattle clips. They are really a guide pin bushing retainer. Their job is to hold the rubber bushing in the caliper housing from backing out. They became unnecessary when Mopar went to the slider type caliper instead of the pin/rubber bushing style. The parts sellers get a ridiculous price because they can.
71-72 Mopar B C E Body Cuda GTX Chrysler Disc Brake Caliper Pin Positioner Set | eBay

Thanks to all that replied. Without the "positioner"/clip the larger bushing works out and caliper rattles on bolts on my car. And could bind and not let brake apply fully. The ebay site that Moparleo posted has best price. Before I bite there I might try to find something from GM that would fit.

You do NOT need the 'positioner/clips'. Save yourself $80. Go to Rockauto.com and type in '72 Challenger. Go to the brakes section and click on Disc Brake Hardware Kit. The Centric No.11763002 will give you 8 rubber seals and 2 retaining springs - for less than $12. The 'long' pins are there also - if you need them. The extra length at the pin ends is there to accept the springs - IF you use them. Leave the positioners off. As I said in my longer post, '73 and '74 Challengers used shorter pins and no extra parts, but, the seals had flanges on both ends - so would not work their way out - as on my (one-owner) '73. MOPAR did not put the slider type calipers on E-bodies but only on A-bodies. Yes, I do stand to be corrected - but all my 8 previous '70-'74 Challengers' brakes had pins - and both of my '74 Dusters had sliders'

Last edited:
You do NOT need the 'positioner/clips'. Save yourself $80. Go to Rockauto.com and type in '72 Challenger. Go to the brakes section and click on Disc Brake Hardware Kit. The Centric No.11763002 will give you 8 rubber seals and 2 retaining springs - for less than $12. The 'long' pins are there also - if you need them. The extra length at the pin ends is there to accept the springs - IF you use them. Leave the positioners off. As I said in my longer post, '73 and '74 Challengers used shorter pins and no extra parts, but, the seals had flanges on both ends - so would not work their way out - as on my (one-owner) '73. MOPAR did not put the slider type calipers on E-bodies but only on A-bodies. Yes, I do stand to be corrected - but all my 8 previous '70-'74 Challengers' brakes had pins - and both of my '74 Dusters had sliders'

I used the shorted pins from RA too. I think this is a decision based on what they user is trying to achieve OEM status. I'd put Wilwoods on it and buy a nitrous kit so don't ask me lol.

-
Back