Cam Bearing install

-

QK TIME

Reaction score
Anyone got a trick way to install cam bearings. Don't really want to haul My motor into town to pop the bearings in, but don't wanna spend $230 on the tool. I have My bros tool but it only fits SBC. Any ideas?

One or the other, the proper tool or have the machine shop do them. They are not the easiest to do even with the proper tool. tmm

..............bad thing about mopars is that each bearing is a different size.........i think u have 2 bite the bullet.............kim.......

Rob does an excellent job of explaining how to do it. This is not an area you want to second guess.

My opinion, but a big block is more pricy to rebuild than a small block and you could be into that if you try to cheap out. Dad had the machine shop do his 273 and it was $150, then they test fit the cam to make sure everything was good, and grooooovy it was! Either the right tool or machine shop.

dont the local autozone/advance store rent them???leave a dep and when you return the tool get your money back....

dont the local autozone/advance store rent them???leave a dep and when you return the tool get your money back....

No they are not renteditems. Even if they were, those rental tools see an insane amount of abuse, and are of the cheapest quality. I have seen people return tourqe wrenches they had used to pry on something with...

Thanks everyone. Decided to just buy one. I can do the $130ish ones.

My opinion, but a big block is more pricy to rebuild than a small block and you could be into that if you try to cheap out. Dad had the machine shop do his 273 and it was $150, then they test fit the cam to make sure everything was good, and grooooovy it was! Either the right tool or machine shop.

This is the correct opinion , there is more to installing cam bearings than just banging them into place .

-
Back