Cam bearings

-

remytherat

Reaction score
Need to replace the cam bearings on my 5.9 magnum. Would prefer to do so with the bottom end installed. Is this possible?

How bad are they?
I think the Back one goes in the from the Backside?
Possible? Yes.
You'll have to be able to get this 2 or 3 foot long tool in there...
Performance Tool W89220 Performance Tool Universal Camshaft Bearing Installation Tools | Summit Racing
Mine looked like This... so I've changed them out (out of the car)

bearing.jpg

It is possible, I have done it before. The problem is if the cam doesn’t fit the new bearings, and you have to clearance the bearings. That is why I was taught when building an engine, install the cam first to make sure that it fits.

AF4EDEBA-44D8-47DA-969B-A4D8E719401B.jpeg

This is what I’m working with.

I hear you about the clearancing. The only thing I can think of is just to cross my fingers if I keep the bottom end in.

View attachment 1716281498

I hear you about the clearancing. The only thing I can think of is just to cross my fingers if I keep the bottom end in.

Always wonder why cam bearings lose chunks like that.. mine had a few small chunks missing.. i would like to tell you that i changed them... but....

Always wonder why cam bearings lose chunks like that.. mine had a few small chunks missing.. i would like to tell you that i changed them... but....

Acid in the oil, they break down over time. Sitting long periods of time (years) is hard on them too.

2012-03-01141949.jpg

Just a guess > valve spring pressure pushing on them 24/7 when sitting for long periods, without being turned over eventually the oil film goes away...

☆☆☆☆☆

Acid in the oil, they break down over time. Sitting long periods of time (years) is hard on them too.

View attachment 1716281508

Just a guess > valve spring pressure pushing on them 24/7 when sitting for long periods, without being turned over eventually the oil film goes away...

☆☆☆☆☆
Well that makes sense :) And that is a nasty bearing, some jbweld and sandpaper and it would be like new!

View attachment 1716281498

Back bearing goes in first, then the bearings progressively get bigger as you come forward to the timing chain.

Of course you know you have to line up the oil holes to get oil pressure up to the lifters and heads.

Used cam with reliefs cut in like this. Slowly wind it in with plenty of Lucas Oil Treatment, assembly lube, (STP).

A gray film will appear when it starts to get tight, keep wiping it clean and keep it lubbed well till you make it all the way to the back with the fitting cam turning freely. Clean out the oil holes.

20230201_111604.jpg

The more care you take tapping them in square the easier the next cam will fit.

I personally use vaseline on them so they slide in easier.

Once the engine goes through Its first heat cycle that vaseline will be gone.

Yes I have put them in with the bottom end in, but the engine out of the vehicle on an engine stand.

☆☆☆☆☆

It's a ***** of a job to do right on a bare block. I can't imagine doing it on an assembled engine. Less so in a car

Really? They are my preferred MFG. Especially their coated line. J.Rob

Me too,,,,,,I’ve used them in several applications .
Mopar ,,Chevy ,,DeSoto ,,,never had an issue with fit or function .
Always looked perfect out of the box,,and good durability so far ,,,no issues .

Tommy

The last sets of DB brgs I bought would not slide over the cam journals....they were too tight. And that was out of the box, before installed in the engine. Cam journals were correct size, & SP brgs worked fine.

Just a thought, if it needs cam bearings, I would think that the rod and main bearings would need replacement as well. What kind of shape is the oil pump in?

Pulled the bottom end. Mains were perfect, rods a little worn but not catastrophically so.

Since it’s appart now it’s getting all new everything.

-
Back