cam opinion

-

mopar marc

Reaction score
Hi , Just wanted to get your opinion on this cam I picked up it is an old crane. Kind of a strange one ,
460 intake
450 exhaust
280 intake advertised (224 @050) 107 atdc
288 exhaust adv. (232 @050) 117 btdc
Thinking of using it in a 360 with a basic stock rebuilt bottom end (hyper pistons 8.5 cr) and good stock heads, 3,000 # dart with 391s and an auto. just a fun car. I do have other cams so I appreciate your opinions. It is a new cam (never used) just old. Marc

Hey Marc,

Are you sure on the lifts? Usually the lifts would be just the opposite due to the exhaust not flowing as much as the intake.

I'm no cam expert, just an observation. Other than that it would have similar power as a stock cam, maybe a little more. And with the 112 centerline it should be fairly smooth.

Jack

It could use another 1/2 - 1 pt. of compression.

Looks to me like it's designed for stock heads and exh manifolds..maybe cats too with lower static compression. Kind wierd, but I'd think it would work ok in a mild type build.

yeah thats what I thought too, but I am reading the specs right off the card. anyway thanks for the reply guys

It definately looks like its a race cam for a small port 318, it makes sense that way. I agree, you don't have enough compression, way too much duration, without enough lift. As cheap as cams are, get a better one. Call hughes engines to see what they recommend for your can, and them compare the specs they give you with your cam, i bet it will be a surprise. Your combination looks good, but just not enough compression for that cam. It would be a real mean sounding Chihuahua, but no bite. Probably no vaccum either, no power brakes for you.

Yep thats what I figured but I am no expert, thats what you guys are for :thumbup: I do have other choices, less duration around the same lift (443/465) maybe I will save this for another time. Marc

mopar marc said:
Yep thats what I figured but I am no expert, thats what you guys are for :thumbup: I do have other choices, less duration around the same lift (443/465) maybe I will save this for another time. Marc

Tell me a little more about that special hood scoop.

image.php

With a 112 centerline (Halfway between the 107 and 117 numbers) it would be a melloer cam idle wise and better for a, not up par compresion ratioed engine.
With 8* seperating the durations, it would do OK on a stock head. Something like a preped head and/or pocket porting would be much better.
The low lift would save maching steps and get you going quicker. (Less down time and money spent.)

bjr if you need it i would sell it, pm me. flyboy, thats my girl she bought me that charger when i was out of town a few years back. shes a keeper :thumbup:

Thanks Rumble I knew I could count on you and others to chime in. Marc

Your welcome. You know me and some of the other fellas here just love to bench race and talk MoPars all day on this confounded machine.

With all this been there done that and brain storming, it's almost a wonder were not campaining a car across the contry and giving a performance clinic like the old days.

(Hummmmmmm, no no no, stop thinking about that rumble. Bad rumble bad! )

-
Back