Cam Phasing

-
To the OP, your wording is incorrect, so we’re concerned that you might not have it right. Possibly when you are using the word “separation” you actually mean “centerline”.

If you have an old chain set, I’d be inclined to use it.

To the OP, your wording is incorrect, so we’re concerned that you might not have it right. Possibly when you are using the word “separation” you actually mean “centerline”.

If you have an old chain set, I’d be inclined to use it.
Thanks, that clears things up for me.

I have not. Like I said I just don’t trust them after looking at them. The size of the cross section of an offset key is very small and even stock valve springs, distributors, and standard volume oil pumps put a good amount of force on that key. I was trying to be helpful.
His terminology using lobe sep was wrong that’s all I was saying.
In today's "modern" engines, a key simply locates and is not intended to carry any shear loads. The bolt stretch provides clamp load which creates a joint held in place by friction.
I wouldn't know what our forefathers designed "back in the day" on these old engines. I doubt they used the key to carry shear but I wasn't there (I'm old but not that old!).

I have used offset keys in the past to get a cam degreed where I wanted it. Sometimes an offset key and a tooth off in the other direction - whatever it took to get the proper centerline. I've never had any issues with offset keys but IIRC the most I used was a 4 degree key. FWIW.

I have not. Like I said I just don’t trust them after looking at them. The size of the cross section of an offset key is very small and even stock valve springs, distributors, and standard volume oil pumps put a good amount of force on that key. I was trying to be helpful.
His terminology using lobe sep was wrong that’s all I was saying.
Yeah, it wasn't about pointing out mistakes. It's about trying to help him get the thing right. The way he worded it made it sound like he wasn't sure what was goin on.

If you havent actually degreed the cam you should to comfirm instal location and verify cam grind accuracy.
I'm just going to trust Bullet Racing. They get pretty good reviews. I was just wanting to get opinions on the off-set key idea. I did do some dry measuring.

I'm gona add this, just so you don't get misled as to what's what for degrees. post 176 has more info
Cam degreeing help me understand!
Me, I'd rather use a t-set with one of these in it.
IMG_20240830_133011_01.jpg

you have it all apart! why not verify the grind and confirm the install *before* you order a key or timing set you may or may not need?

rule number one: never trust a blone with hoop earrings
rule number two: trust but verify

it's not like it's any more work! or hard work! and it's right there!

also, i'd check the chain for slack against the proceedure in the FSM. i'm not a betting man, but i'd lay a slice of ham that it's beyond spec. or just go wholesale r&r the thing with one of them summit billet jobbers that's got adjustable key ways. two birbs, one hammer, in hand.

you have it all apart! why not verify the grind and confirm the install *before* you order a key or timing set you may or may not need?

rule number one: never trust a blone with hoop earrings
rule number two: trust but verify

it's not like it's any more work! or hard work! and it's right there!

also, i'd check the chain for slack against the proceedure in the FSM. i'm not a betting man, but i'd lay a slice of ham that it's beyond spec. or just go wholesale r&r the thing with one of them summit billet jobbers that's got adjustable key ways. two birbs, one hammer, in hand.
If it was any tighter, I could not install it and that's with aligned hone and decking. Mopars rock!!!

Last edited:
so I need to advance it 4-degrees... right?
Only if you want to run it where the cam grinder recommends to.
Actually to run it where he recommends, your other parameters need to match up as well''' Like specified usage, cylinder pressure, gears, and stall.
Just cuz the cam card says plus 4* doesn't mean that's what is best.
For example;
My engine has a clutch and a preponderance of cylinder pressure , So I don't need the cam-advance. I'd rather give those 4* to the powerstroke, and increase the potential for fuel-economy.
When you get down to basics, every cam has it's own signature of total number of degrees that are available for Compression and Power-extraction. Typically, you might see 230 degrees. And typically you might see 125* to compression and 105 to power. But, if you already have more compression than you need , then you can give some degrees to Power extraction and pick up some efficiency and with that, usually comes more MPG. If your engine spends most of it's life racing, you might sacrifice some of that 105 Power and give to Compression cuz Pressure is heat is torque is power.
At best from 4*retarded to 8*advanced is your window, any more than that is gonna start killing your Overlap cycle and that spells a powerloss, throughout the rpm band.
Putting the cam in at +4*, on a split-pattern cam, generally, will center the overlap. , and a well-placed overlap, generally will produce the most average power in third gear, where the race track wants it. But on the street, that is not always the case, especially with a torqueflite that drags the 1-2 shift down to 59%. From 5500 that drops to 3245, and if your torque peak is not until 4000, well, that's crap. So that's where your Cylinder Pressure better come on line, and your Overlap better come alive. That's where the 4* advance van pullup your bottom end. But............ if the pressure puts you engine into detonation, then just maybe that 4* is too much, and now you are forced into buying the next higher octane gas. Which for the other 95% of the time is way more octane than you need. which just drives your cost per mile up, needlessly.
So, you asked
so I need to advance it 4-degrees... right?
Answer, IDK
need more information.

Have you sheared one off ? Or known someone that has?
He has a mild motor. It will work fine .
And I don’t think someone has to be an expert on cam technology to degree a cam . Sounds like he has got it handled. This is in reference to his use of (lobe separation).
Ive seen oil drive hex worn almost round and all that torque runs through that keyway. Had SG rear axle splines twist almost a full spline right out of the carrier, stuff happens.

Ive seen oil drive hex worn almost round and all that torque runs through that keyway. Had SG rear axle splines twist almost a full spline right out of the carrier, stuff happens.
So are you implying that the crank gear wobbles around on the crank snout ? Whats the clearance difference between the 3 ? I have torn down many 100,000 mile engines and don’t recall any weith wear . Crank or cam ….

So are you implying that the crank gear wobbles around on the crank snout ? Whats the clearance difference between the 3 ? I have torn down many 100,000 mile engines and don’t recall any weith wear . Crank or cam ….
Huh? Never mentioned crank gears......But I do have a Milodon gear drive with a crank gear... ?

In today's "modern" engines, a key simply locates and is not intended to carry any shear loads. The bolt stretch provides clamp load which creates a joint held in place by friction.
I wouldn't know what our forefathers designed "back in the day" on these old engines. I doubt they used the key to carry shear but I wasn't there (I'm old but not that old!).

I have used offset keys in the past to get a cam degreed where I wanted it. Sometimes an offset key and a tooth off in the other direction - whatever it took to get the proper centerline. I've never had any issues with offset keys but IIRC the most I used was a 4 degree key. FWIW.
If the shaft is straight (not tapered) and the gear has no press fit, the key carries the sheer load. I agree with you, they do work. I was merely stating I personally have never trusted them.

There is no guarantee that the cam 4* advanced is going to produce the desired power curve. Pick a number & bolt it up. Then dyno the engine if desired, & adv or ret the cam, to get the desired curve.
Y' all think that the factories degreed each cam on the hundreds of millions of engines they built?

Maybe I missed it but describe the build with cam specs and type of driving .
You didn't miss anything. Well, maybe the original post.

"Is the off-set woodruff key for the camshaft itself an acceptable way to adjust the phasing?"

If you really want to know the specs, come on over. I'll provide food and drinks. :lol:

Fairly mild grocery getter.

That'll be sloppy as a ***** on payday in 15 minutes run time.

There is no guarantee that the cam 4* advanced is going to produce the desired power curve. Pick a number & bolt it up. Then dyno the engine if desired, & adv or ret the cam, to get the desired curve.
Y' all think that the factories degreed each cam on the hundreds of millions of engines they built?

Big difference between an OEM building several hundred thousand units and someone building a performance engine.

Not even close.

To even advocate that it’s acceptable or even ok to just slap the timing set on and go is bad advice.

Ive never trusted the offset keyways. The section width right at the corner where they offset the key gets fairly thin and shear strength has to suffer. Not to mention stress risers from the corners themselves. But, I do know it’s been done that way for years and years. Ive used the double roller billet set from summit and been very happy with them, lots of adjustment and they’re only $100.

Summit Racing SUM-G6603R-B Summit Racing™ Billet Steel Timing Sets | Summit Racing

That's not really how it works....

Modern engines, my foot. (other than that, DemonX2 is 100% right).
The key was never designed to carry load, ever.

The sprocket bolt that clamps the cam sprocket to the cam is what makes the spinny-magic happen. The clamp load from sprocket to cam is what locks the two together. I ain't doing the math but there's hundreds of pounds of force holding the cam to the sprocket when the bolt is properly torqued.

The keys are supposed to be weak. If something goes south, the intent is to shear the key and not eat up the nice expensive components (although on a small block Mopar you're likely going to trash the valves if this happens).

The key is an alignment aid only and carries no, I repeat NO load.

You didn't miss anything. Well, maybe the original post.

"Is the off-set woodruff key for the camshaft itself an acceptable way to adjust the phasing?"

If you really want to know the specs, come on over. I'll provide food and drinks. :lol:

Fairly mild grocery getter.

They work fine. It’s all we had before these 9 keyway sets that confuse most people.

I’ve used them with roller cams and shifted that engine at 8k for two years. It never failed.

-
Back