Cam thrust button

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What's an acceptable way to shim the cam thrust button? I need to get rid of .045. Can I make a spacer out of aluminum on my little lathe and put it in between the cam and thrust bearing?

Metal, comp cams. Sorry, should have inserted this picture.

20240907_210620.jpg

Last edited:
You could bash the timing cover in a little. lol

Ya know, didn't think of that. Will fill any void between the water pump housing when it goes on. Okay, may give that a try!
Thanks Rob.

The gasket would be close to 0.045", so delete that. Use silicon to seal the cover.
The last time I used a gasket on a t/chain cover was 1982...or was it 1983....

Gasket is probably 0.030”. Use shims behind the button to fine tune if needed.

Gasket is probably 0.030”. Use shims behind the button to fine tune if needed.

Yep a thin stainless washer May do the trick. I never really cared for the stock covers. To much flexing for my taste. But I did run them for years in the 1980’s.

i'm sure i've read here that some have welded a thick washer to the front of the timing cover so the water pump housing is touching it. the cover can't flex then. nothing to stop you making the washer 45 thou thicker than the gap between cover and w/pump housing to take up your clearance as the cover will flex inward when the w/pump housing is tightened.
neil.

Will come up with probably a steel button spacer. Don't chastise me, I took a Donovan gear drive off of it. They had this part covered.
Thank you all for replying! Have enough info to move forward.

-
Back