Camshaft for 273

-

Narek H

Reaction score
Looking for non hydraulic camshaft for my 64 4speed 273. Looking for something to add HP but keep it street with 800ish rpm starting.

The smallest one comp cams makes in a solid is suitable for your needs. I’ve used it. Close to the commando cam but slightly larger. You’ll have to look it up.

I think that cam would be fine.

All cams are a compromise that moves power around
from one RPM range to another. At full throttle you
will seldom be below 2000 for very long unless you are
in way the wrong gear.

800 rpm is just above idle, What do you have now? I have an Isky in mine now and it has a lot of low end power and revs quick. Honestly, what do you want? I have a small solid Jim ground for close to the original Commando cam. What is in and on top of your engine?

If anyone believes for a hot minute that stupid 2000 RPM minimum for the Isky E4, they deserve whatever dumb choice they make. My God, it's barely above stock.

THere are very few mild solid lifter cams available for the small block Mopar guys. If you just want a replacement for the stock cam Look at Egge or may be Kanter. The Isky E4 is quite close to stock specs and works well. I bet there are a hundred members here on the site that used it in their 273's and like the way they perform. Not racy at all. THe mildest Comp Cam available is a 270/.468 1800-5800 rpm. Don't confuse that with a stock cam or a Isky E4. 260/.425

Never go by advertised RPM ranges, ever. Mine is 3500-8500, makes peak power at 5,900...

If you don't understand basic camshaft tech, call and have a custom grind made for your specific needs / wants.

Looking at a 273 engine, i'd be picking my cam in an attempt to overcome it's limitations. The 273 has a cubic inch displacement that is as small or smaller than a 6 cylinder, is head limited and intake valve limited. It's iron headed, so it's more fuel sensitive as well.

So, hang the valves open longer, lift the valve only as far as needed and widen your LSA. The wider LSA will help with the octane requirement and also improve the idle you are saying you want.

THere are very few mild solid lifter cams available for the small block Mopar guys. If you just want a replacement for the stock cam Look at Egge or may be Kanter. The Isky E4 is quite close to stock specs and works well. I bet there are a hundred members here on the site that used it in their 273's and like the way they perform. Not racy at all. THe mildest Comp Cam available is a 270/.468 1800-5800 rpm. Don't confuse that with a stock cam or a Isky E4. 260/.425
SO this is all on me not having enough knowledge on this.

It seems that everyone is referring to ISKY E4. I'd like to understand what the RPM range means? If Isky states 2000-5000 does it mean on a low idle my engines gonna be running cranky and shaky? and means engine runs smooth from 2000+ ?
My intention is to add a bit power (My engine is 273 NON commando, nut I am adding EGGE pistons) but I do not want to turn the car into a drag/racingengine where I can event enjoy slow speeds/cruises....

SO this is all on me not having enough knowledge on this.

It seems that everyone is referring to ISKY E4. I'd like to understand what the RPM range means? If Isky states 2000-5000 does it mean on a low idle my engines gonna be running cranky and shaky? and means engine runs smooth from 2000+ ?
My intention is to add a bit power (My engine is 273 NON commando, nut I am adding EGGE pistons) but I do not want to turn the car into a drag/racingengine where I can event enjoy slow speeds/cruises....
You're learning. I put a E4 in my 273. I mentioned how mild it was a couple times above and included a video of mine idling. I don't know what else we can do to tell you about it. Like I said in post 12, there aren't too many mild solid lifter cams available. The E 4 is quite close to the factory 4 barrel cam which was quite mild.

Never go by advertised RPM ranges, ever. Mine is 3500-8500, makes peak power at 5,900...

If you don't understand basic camshaft tech, call and have a custom grind made for your specific needs / wants.

Looking at a 273 engine, i'd be picking my cam in an attempt to overcome it's limitations. The 273 has a cubic inch displacement that is as small or smaller than a 6 cylinder, is head limited and intake valve limited. It's iron headed, so it's more fuel sensitive as well.

So, hang the valves open longer, lift the valve only as far as needed and widen your LSA. The wider LSA will help with the octane requirement and also improve the idle you are saying you want.
Yeap I guess I miss understood the RPM range meaning. My intention is to add a bit power (My engine is 273 NON commando, but I am adding EGGE pistons) but I do not want to turn the car into a drag/racingengine where I can event enjoy slow speeds/cruises....

Seems to me like the one rusty recommends is a pretty good choice then….
That's one of the most popular 273 grinds there is. Quite frankly, I would love to see one in a 360. It would be a total tire melter. Which Egge pistons are you going with? The Commando pistons would be a better match, but it will run fine either way.

That's one of the most popular 273 grinds there is. Quite frankly, I would love to see one in a 360. It would be a total tire melter. Which Egge pistons are you going with? The Commando pistons would be a better match, but it will run fine either way.
Pistons are egge L2222-8

-
Back