Can anyone shed light on parking brake cables.. ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
For the last couple of years I have tried to understand what type of cables I need for my parking brake system.

I know there are three basic sections. The front, the middle and rear that connects to the drums.

The cables are sold in various lengths and I have measured mine and not found a common cable.

For a late A body that has a wheelbase of 108 inches, that is running an 8 3/4 rear end, what model middle and rear parking brake cable do I need to order ? And what are their lengths ?

I did do a search for this topic and didn't find any applicable posts..

Thanks
Ian.

I have a '71 Duster. I simply measured mine and went to rockauto.com and ordered it. Year One's prices are ridiculous.

I haven't been able to find them in canada so a bud recommended his fav company but their listings only go to '74 and they have no idea if their stuff will fit a '75.

Will it ?

Thanks
Ian.

Green1.

This may be a stupid question, but how ?

If I remember correctly, my middle cable was a loop and the rear cables just hooked into it...I am now thinking this may have been a bastard...

So, how do I go about this ?

Thanks
Ian.

I'm not aware of all the different changes over the years, but generally, you have two cables out of the rear wheels, with a little "C" shaped slotted connector, and that forms the forward loop, with the equalizer / slider delieee thingy, and that then hook into the forward cable up to the lever mechanism

The following are shots out of the 67, 70, and 72 manuals, so you can see there've been changes

Attachments

• 67park.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 70park.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 281
  • 72park.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 263
66dart,

Those are perfect. It wasn't haw the po had them :) I would rather do them up right.

I am assuming they go above the exhaust and below the driveshaft ?

Thanks
ian.

The 76 Duster I'm parting has a 103.5" loop cable, ball end to ball end.
The bottom picture is the later A body style, same basic set-up as the 76 I'm parting except the primary cable. That changed with the swap to the foot operated parking brake.

Here is one of my problems.

I just gor home from NAPA and intermediate cable has three different lengths. 109,110 or 116. No listing for a 103.5 on a 75 duster.

Why would there be 3 and why longer ?

Ian.

Here's what should have been on a '75, routed like the 3rd diagram that was posted. Pics of bracket inside frame in front of rear with connecting link between cables(other side similar), and front adjuster hook on passenger side. Main cable hooks to a similar bracket on drivers side corner. There is also a small s-hook above the trans mount. This is on a 7-1/4 rear. Don't know if your cables into the 8-3/4 are different. but I would think the intermediate cable would be the same. I can't find my notes on length at the moment, but the factoy part # is 3575585. I believe they used a longer cable for 75 than for 74 and earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 2013-05-30 08.25.38.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 199
zkx,

Found my intermediate cable...it is 103.5. I can reuse the cable but the attaching hardware is rusted beyond use.

Pics are great. What is the j hook attached to ?

Thanks
ian.

So the 2 ends of the intermediate attach to the end of the first cable, correct ?

measure, then Napa.

We bought a set of parking brake cables for my son's 72 Challenger from Napa and they were JUNK! both the conduit and strand were plastic coated, we had to strip more of the plastic coating off of the strand to get them to fit on the parking brake lever, and they still do not work properly.

I was at a car show last year in Warren, MI called Bearing Burners and some local Michigan guys had brake cables for sale that looked just like the factory originals. Lost their contact info. I will be at the Woodward Dream Cruise this Sat and will see if I can find them again.

There is also another company making them called "The Right Stuff". Their cables also look like the factory original cables and they sell them in kits also. Mancini Racing also carries these cables. These are my second choice.

Here is a link for The Right Stuff:

http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/

J-hook goes to the frame. Small hole up near the floor, about halfway between side of car and back of the T-bar socket.
Ends of the intermediate go in the links to the rear cables.
In regards to rusty parts - be sure the cable slides in the attachments to the main cable and j-bolt or it will not pull both sides equally.
zkx,

Found my intermediate cable...it is 103.5. I can reuse the cable but the attaching hardware is rusted beyond use.

Pics are great. What is the j hook attached to ?

Thanks
ian.

So the 2 ends of the intermediate attach to the end of the first cable, correct ?

-
Back