Can i use a LA timing chain set in a magnum engine?

-
Yep, just put the double roller timing set that was on my 318 for a short time, onto my '99 5.9 magnum. I also installed the timing chain tensioner which originally only came on the 3.9 V6 but works fine on the 5.2 and 5.9 magnums as well.

IMG_20170411_105612368.jpg

Reviving an oldie. Was looking to use the Edelbrock true roller 7803 timing gear set on my Magnum 360 but I read in the description on the JEGS website that it is not to be used with hydraulic lifters. No mention on Summit or Edelbrock sites so I called Edelbrock Tech support and they said it will NOT work on Magnum due to clearance issues with the upper sprocket. They recommended a Cloyes unit. Now if someone wants to dispute this with real world results I would still like to use the Edelbrock set.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆}
Could the fitment issue be a non-issue with the LA front? I forgot to mention that to Edelbrock tech support and can't get through to them. Anyone using their 7803 timing set?

I’m about to go through the same process with the 7803 in a magnum.

Everything I found in forums and on Aftermarket Cam sites, is saying you can’t run a double roller with the “Factory Roller Cam” unless it’s specific for a magnum cam.

I will be running an aftermarket Comp Cam and per their website double rollers are not an issue unless you use the factory cam.

I did find that your are to check the cam gear regardless for clearance no matter what chain you are running. I also read on some sites that the oil slinger cannot be used on some double rollers.

I’m gonna be installing mine in the next week or so, once I begin reassembly... I’ll let you know if I run into any issues:

Thanks sully. This may open another can of worms because I am getting the factory cam reground. I will also be using the LA style front but I believe this gives more clearance. Are you running the Magnum serpentine or LA front cover?
edit: Do you know where the fitment issues are?

I’m gonna be using an original LA front cover... the clearance issues I’ve read about are related to the rear of the cam gear against the block and not the cover.

Hopefully I’ll I’ll have an answer for us in a few weeks, in the meantime hopefully someone has had this experience as well.

I have also read that you can’t use a tensioner with an aftermarket chain, it will chew up the guides.

I think I saw it on here in an old post.

Reviving an oldie. Was looking to use the Edelbrock true roller 7803 timing gear set on my Magnum 360 but I read in the description on the JEGS website that it is not to be used with hydraulic lifters. No mention on Summit or Edelbrock sites so I called Edelbrock Tech support and they said it will NOT work on Magnum due to clearance issues with the upper sprocket. They recommended a Cloyes unit. Now if someone wants to dispute this with real world results I would still like to use the Edelbrock set.

I’m about to go through the same process with the 7803 in a magnum.

Everything I found in forums and on Aftermarket Cam sites, is saying you can’t run a double roller with the “Factory Roller Cam” unless it’s specific for a magnum cam.

I will be running an aftermarket Comp Cam and per their website double rollers are not an issue unless you use the factory cam.

I did find that your are to check the cam gear regardless for clearance no matter what chain you are running. I also read on some sites that the oil slinger cannot be used on some double rollers.

I’m gonna be installing mine in the next week or so, once I begin reassembly... I’ll let you know if I run into any issues:

I'm running a double roller set made for the 360 in my Magnum with the LA cover and no issue's with it at all.
Also running the slinger and the drip tab both.
It went together just like it was a 360LA.

If I remember correctly you are running a factory reground Cam and if if that’s true.... then that’s good news for @JoePole1 as he is going to run the same setup as you.

His concern is that he has an Eldelbrock 7803 double roller and all research that he and I found, is saying it will not work with a factory Cam.

From what I have researched on the Dakota and Jeep forums and on the aftermarket Cam websites... it is the 7803 is the only giving issues with the factory cams and not any aftermarket ones as the Cam Snouts are different.

I'm running a double roller set made for the 360 in my Magnum with the LA cover and no issue's with it at all.
Also running the slinger and the drip tab both.
It went together just like it was a 360LA.

My build is almost identical to TrailBeast. I didn't purchase the Edelbrock 7803 yet but it's a true roller at a decent price and comes recommended. Also looking at the Comp 2103 and Cloyes 3028x but they are standard double roller sets.

TB.....do you recall what you are brand and part number set you are using?

Last edited:
My build is almost identical to TrailBeast. I didn't purchase the Edelbrock 7803 yet but it's a true roller at a decent price and comes recommended. Also looking at the Comp 2103 and Cloyes 8023x but they are standard double roller sets.

TB.....do you recall what you are brand and part number set you are using?

I'm sorry, I don't remember as it's been years.
I know I ordered it for the small block Mopar LA series though, because the Wife's 318 car needed it before mine did so there it went.

I've torn down more than one 3.9L V6 and 318 police engines with factory double rollers and the chain tensioner, so they can be run together. I think there are "some" double roller chains that do not work with the tensioner, but I do not know which.

years ago when i was a chrysler tech(46 yrs worth) we used to put the tc tensioner from 3.9v6 in the 318/360 magnums. i have run one in one of my magnums and it is a double roller. someone argued with me at one time that the dr will eat all the coating from the tensioner. i did not see any indication of it. also i just looked at napa and the hd tc kit for 86 360 truck is the same for 95 318 magnum. part number ntp 103028x. i have another dr kit w/tensioner that i will rum in my next magnum overhaul also.

The magnum engines have a short snout on the cam
Because they use an electric fuel pump no provision for fuel pump eccentric. That is why those double rollers might not fit.
LA engines have a longer style, They need to use older la timing cover.

I’m gonna be using an original LA front cover... the clearance issues I’ve read about are related to the rear of the cam gear against the block and not the cover.

Hopefully I’ll I’ll have an answer for us in a few weeks, in the meantime hopefully someone has had this experience as well.

I have also read that you can’t use a tensioner with an aftermarket chain, it will chew up the guides.

I think I saw it on here in an old post.
Hey Sully....did you ever get that 7803 timing set installed? Thanks.

The short snout on the Magnum camshaft eliminated ONLY the ability to mount the fuel pump eccentric. The timing chain still sits on the camshaft exactly the same. With the snout shortened and fuel pump eccentric removed, they also changed the camshaft gear washer arrangement.
An LA timing chain will fit a Magnum short snout camshaft, you just have to check the fit and use the correct bolt and washer. If the snout sticks out past the cam gear a little, you need a cup style washer to clear it. If the cam gear sticks out past the snout a little, the flat Magnum washer and bolt will work. Always check this and bolt length before running a bolt in and calling it good.
If you want a mechanical fuel pump on a short snout camshaft you just add the adapter kit like Hughes Engines sells and secure it with Loctite during final assembly with the supplied cup washer to clear the adapter.

Hey Sully....did you ever get that 7803 timing set installed? Thanks.

No sir!! I was about to start assembly and I got called out work a storm. I’m an insurance adjuster and I’m down here in Louisiana working for a few weeks!!!

Everything @Bobzilla said is what I had found through Recently researching !!!

I think he’s given us the best answer and advice I’ve found so far!!!

I didn't see this thread until now, but I do have something to add as an FYI.

I ran into a problem with my LA motor with a Magnum cam. I wanted a roller cam but couldn't afford the money for an aftermarket cam so I am running a 2000 5.9 cam in my 360 with Hughes lifters and the adapter for the fuel pump eccentric.

What I ran into is an issue with the double roller timing chain rubbing on the fuel pump arm. I think the issues is that with a flat tappet cam, the lifters push the cam back into the block and maintain clearance between the timing chain and fuel pump arm. But with roller lifters the cam can float and this can cause the clearance to disappear and the timing chain can rub on the fuel pump arm.

Not sure how the distributor gear would change how the cam floats in the block, just thought about it.

Just something to think about.

-
Back