Can i use e-body SS springs in abody?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,
i know this may sound like a funky question, but i remember reading a while back that you can... I pulled out the mopar chassis manual that i have (mind you it is an old one) and it says that all SS springs have the abody front segment of 20in and rear segments of either 35 or 36in...then a few pages later is says that 1968 a body prostocks have a total length of 55", front segment of 20" and rear segment of 35"...the ebody ones have the exact same measurements in the same chart in the manual...reason I am asking is a guy nearby me has a set of ebody super stock springs for sale, so im wondering if I would be able to use them...kinda sounds too good to be true- i mean if i was able to use them, why would they be labeled e-body? if anyone could chime in on this i would appreciate it.

thanks
Matthew

well i just looked at the mopar catalog and im thinking even more that i can since they list all the ss springs and say they work with abody but require a longer front spring hanger for anything other than abody...however, what would be the difference in using the ebody springs? would the car hook as well? in the manual it says that the e-body springs have 125lb spring rate as opposed to the abody 002/003's with 160lb spring rate

Just make sure SS springs are really what you want. You really only need them with a big power track car.

Real world street/part time strip cars will be more than fine with XHD springs.

XHD springs offer a better ride, lower and more level rear ride height.

XHDs + pinion snubber will take you well into the 11s with street car ride characteristics.

(Posted because we have had so many complaints/comments about members not liking SS springs after they get them)

Order a set of XHD leaf springs. You'll be glad you did.

This is a funky question since the answer was right in front of you in the book. Better to error onthe side of caution though.

Order a set of XHD leaf springs. You'll be glad you did.

Agreed

No such thing as E body S/S springs. There ALL A body sized.

Don't see why you would not just get a set of A body S/S springs if that is what you want. I like the 02/03's. But that is just me.

This is a funky question since the answer was right in front of you in the book. Better to error onthe side of caution though.

Agreed

No such thing as E body S/S springs. There ALL A body sized.

well tell me there isnt, but both the chassis manual and catalog have ebody ss springs so i dont think im that stupid..the answer may have been in front of me, but it wasnt clear enough to me...the manual didnt say that all ss springs are interchangeable, and when i talked to the guy selling the ss springs he told me he didnt think it would work either, so thought id ask

regarding the XHD springs, how much can i expect the rearend to raise with them installed? i think im better off just gettina leaf added to each of my current springs instead

Don't see why you would not just get a set of A body S/S springs if that is what you want. I like the 02/03's. But that is just me.

used equals cheaper...these are used and i can get them for less than i would pay for a brand new pair of 002/003 springs from the dealer...have been looking for the 002/003's used with no luck at all really

well tell me there isnt, but both the chassis manual and catalog have ebody ss springs so i dont think im that stupid..the answer may have been in front of me, but it wasnt clear enough to me...the manual didnt say that all ss springs are interchangeable, and when i talked to the guy selling the ss springs he told me he didnt think it would work either, so thought id ask

regarding the XHD springs, how much can i expect the rearend to raise with them installed? i think im better off just gettina leaf added to each of my current springs instead

You could add a leaf that would be the morst cost afective way to raise the back of the car. Will make the car ride a bit harsher though but then so do S/S's. XHD springs are only 20 bucks less than S/S's so not much savings there.

About a 1 inch rise.

but both the chassis manual and catalog have ebody ss springs
I don't think your stupid, but what you didn't realize is the springs have A body diamentions and there use in other cars require the longer front spring hangers. The other springs are fitted into the other cars and are not built for them directly.

When they say E body springs, it's the spring rate for the heavier car. Same goes for B and C body cars.

adding a leaf will be the most cost effective way i think, and i will probably end up having the local spring shop do it for me if it works out to be cheaper than buying new XHD's (I have a coupon for mopar parts but i have to purchase over 200bucks worth for it to be good so maybe i will opt for xhds who knows)...and like i said, i was just asking because i wasnt sure...figured the helpful bunch on here would chime in and educate me...rather be safe than sorry

is that what you are running in the demon?
No, but a lot of guys I know run them. As rumblefish360 said, "About a one inch rise." Mine are SS main leaf and custom arched XHD.

No, but a lot of guys I know run them. As rumblefish360 said, "About a one inch rise." Mine are SS main leaf and custom arched XHD.

Ive seen the picture of your demon's stance from the rear and it doesnt look to have any lean (or maybe im blind?)...do you mean to say that yours are a custom spring with a SS leafs arched to match XHD's? sorry if that sounds like a goofed question just not sure what you meant

Ive seen the picture of your demon's stance from the rear and it doesnt look to have any lean (or maybe im blind?)...do you mean to say that yours are a custom spring with a SS leafs arched to match XHD's? sorry if that sounds like a goofed question just not sure what you meant
My fault, I should have made it clearer. Yes, the SS main leaf is rearched to match the XHD. Although I had to move the front spring hangers for this to work. My car is mini tubbed, and the springs are inboard 3 inches, so it was possible to do this.

mshred: The SS leafs will raise the rear stance of your car quite a bit. That's why I suggested the XHD springs. Most guys that install the SS springs on a street car don't like the way the car sits. Too high in back end. JMO

mshred: The SS leafs will raise the rear stance of your car quite a bit. That's why I suggested the XHD springs. Most guys that install the SS springs on a street car don't like the way the car sits. Too high in back end. JMO

My car is minitubbed as well and will be getting the full inboard kit when i put in my rearend. I know thats a common opinion that they are too high, but i have some 2 inch lowering blocks lying around that i could slap under there, or just make another set to the desired drop i would like if i dont like the stance...if the SS springs are gonna hook better its what makes tem tempting to me...even though my car is a street car, everything else about it will be quite a comrpomise as well, and im not one who's used to having a car with suspension that pampers you, so i cant seem to wonder why i would personally mind...thanks for the info

...I know thats a common opinion that they are too high, but i have some 2 inch lowering blocks lying around that i could slap under there, or just make another set to the desired drop i would like if i dont like the stance...

I don't think lowering blocks would be a good idea, you'll probably wind up with bent springs or worse if your car makes a reasonable amount of power. If you want to lower it, make the adjustment at the front hanger.

My car is minitubbed as well and will be getting the full inboard kit when i put in my rearend. I know thats a common opinion that they are too high, but i have some 2 inch lowering blocks lying around that i could slap under there, or just make another set to the desired drop i would like if i dont like the stance...if the SS springs are gonna hook better its what makes tem tempting to me...even though my car is a street car, everything else about it will be quite a comrpomise as well, and im not one who's used to having a car with suspension that pampers you, so i cant seem to wonder why i would personally mind...thanks for the info
Mshred,I think you should just stay with what you have,til a later time.I know your just putting your car back together,so expense and time wise,your gonna need the money(trust me) for some unseen expense when re-assembling,and the extra time it will take away from your time schedule.This is just my opinion,you might like the ride and stance when all together?Good Luck!

I don't think lowering blocks would be a good idea, you'll probably wind up with bent springs or worse if your car makes a reasonable amount of power. If you want to lower it, make the adjustment at the front hanger.

the car is going to have the inboard spring kit, so the front hanger will be replaced by a box instead, otherwise i would just flip the front hanger like most do...I thought lowering blocks with the SS springs was okay? I guess i could get them dearched if i wanted to lower it a bit...and yes scott i know i should try and just put her back together, but now that i have her apart i want to do what i can...those leafs back there sag more than my grandmothers couch, so im thinking now is probably a good time to replace them since im swapping rearends and doing the spring inboard and will have easy access to it

I don't think he'll bend springs with blocks to be honest.

the car is going to have the inboard spring kit, so the front hanger will be replaced by a box instead, otherwise i would just flip the front hanger like most do...I thought lowering blocks with the SS springs was okay? I guess i could get them dearched if i wanted to lower it a bit...and yes scott i know i should try and just put her back together, but now that i have her apart i want to do what i can...those leafs back there sag more than my grandmothers couch, so im thinking now is probably a good time to replace them since im swapping rearends and doing the spring inboard and will have easy access to it
Oh!I thought you already did the mini-tub thing?I guess you have it all apart again?De-arching??I would just go with the HD springs!

I don't think he'll bend springs with blocks to be honest.

cudaspaz put blocks on his cuda and he has SS springs... I didnt think it would do any harm...

Oh!I thought you already did the mini-tub thing?I guess you have it all apart again?De-arching??I would just go with the HD springs!

yes i minitubbed her but i didnt do the spring relocation yet because i was going to do it all at once when installing the 8-3/4...The only reason im opting for these SS springs is because they are used so i can get the pair for cheaper than id pay for one new spring from mopar...if the used ones dont work out, i may just use my trusty coupon and buy some new springs

in regards to these springs however, if they have a lower spring rate (125 as opposed to 160 like the 002/003's) will i have problems hooking the car? i know that may sound goofy, but i read that on another thread but not sure why they said that or the reasoning behind it...also, will the car sit a little lower than it would if it had the stiffer springs?

-
Back