Can someone help with TTI headers and a 360 ?

-

grassy

Reaction score
Hi,

I have the engine/trans sitting on the k-frame ready to install.

Not quite sure what year the engine is but I am using Schumacher mounts and a modified /6 frame (as per Schumacher's instructions).

One the right side it seems that they have a conflict with the oil filter...what direction should it be heading ?

_IGP8266-L.jpg

On the driver's side...the steering unit is just in the way.

_IGP8265-L.jpg

I don't know weather if after I install the engine, part will fit or am I in deep sh*t ? Is there a way out using these headers ?

Thanks
Ian.

Turn the filter around the other way and make the headers fit around the steering box. A lot of the time you will have to bend the headers to fit around the steering box.

My 74 Dart Had TTI headers and power steering with no clearance problems at all.
Was not using an angle adapter but thinkin about it when ever get another 360 for it

This is impossible! They way people talk is TTIs install themselves. Next you will hear about your motor is not in the right spot, mounts are worn and such. This of course can't be the problem people have with $100 headers, the problem with $100 headers is they are crap, that's why they don't fit.
Sorry, it just gets old after awhile...

Turn the filter around the other way and make the headers fit around the steering box. A lot of the time you will have to bend the headers to fit around the steering box.

The filter is the easy one.

How do you make them fit around the steering box ? Should I install the engine first before playing ?

ian.

My 74 Dart Had TTI headers and power steering with no clearance problems at all.
Was not using an angle adapter but thinkin about it when ever get another 360 for it

You had no problem with your steering box and the headers ?

Was it power steering and were you using a /6 k frame ?

Thanx
ian.

What I would do , honestly, is set the headers in and then the motor and see if that will help. If not you may have to go to a different header system. I have the same mounts you do, I was having trouble with fit, it was the mounts, they are not as good as everyone says they are. I had to heat and bend the drivers side to fit.

This is impossible! They way people talk is TTIs install themselves. Next you will hear about your motor is not in the right spot, mounts are worn and such. This of course can't be the problem people have with $100 headers, the problem with $100 headers is they are crap, that's why they don't fit.
Sorry, it just gets old after awhile...

Motor not installed yet..new mounts..

The last time I checked, my TTi's were not $100.00. I wish.

They should fit though..

ian.

Is the header supposed to go in between ? Do i re route the cables ?

TTI do not do e-mails...how are they by phone ?

ian.

Try picking the engine off the k-frame, bolt header to engine, and put it back down. Also, your engine/trans may be sagging toward the rear causing headers not to fit. I would get it figured out before installing eng/trans.

Try picking the engine off the k-frame, bolt header to engine, and put it back down. Also, your engine/trans may be sagging toward the rear causing headers not to fit. I would get it figured out before installing eng/trans.

We shall do..my son thinks the power steering unit is the culprit but we cannot relocate that..

ian.

If you have a 90* filter adapter remove it and toss it... Use the standard plate system as the 90* is not required with tti headers. Possibility of leaks go WAY down when you can the 90* adapter.

PSSSTTT, the adapter is on pointing the wrong direction. Filter should point at ~8 o'clock if looking at it from side.

You may be able to get away with taking the drivers side motor mount bracket bolt out and swing the K away and work the headers in. Pass side should go in easily with the filter out of the way. I'd do the pass side first, then drivers because of potential pinch points.

If you have a 90* filter adapter remove it and toss it... Use the standard plate system as the 90* is not required with tti headers. Possibility of leaks go WAY down when you can the 90* adapter.

PSSSTTT, the adapter is on pointing the wrong direction. Filter should point at ~8 o'clock if looking at it from side.

Good to know. I had no idea which direction was correct. I shall pull it off and save the grief...

Thanks
Ian.

I added some text, but, I will say that I hate those POS things! LOL

You may be able to get away with taking the drivers side motor mount bracket bolt out and swing the K away and work the headers in. Pass side should go in easily with the filter out of the way. I'd do the pass side first, then drivers because of potential pinch points.

Yes...I think draining the oil and moving the filter is step one tomorrow. Then, trying yours and fastback's suggestion second. They have to fit but how will be the question.

there is hope.

ian.

I added some text, but, I will say that I hate those POS things! LOL

No choice for me..they came with the car. You pic has the filter at 8 ..I am assuming without the 90 degree as you mentioned, the filter will be bypassed..

have a pic of the other side with k frame attached ?

Thanks
Ian.

It's easier with a 73+ K like you have. Take that one cross bolt out and swing it down.

If the headers are coated, try to leave them in the bags so you lower the chance of marring.

Headers with a straight filter adapter. Run a shorty filter, not an issue. DOn't hate the headers, those filter adapters

mopp_0307_13_z+exhaust_headers_and_manifolds+oil_filter_adapter.jpg

What you need and a short filter. Drill 4 extra holes in the adapter. Don't go all monster on the plate when drilling, light pressure is a good thing.

$T2eC16N,!zQE9s3srYOoBRWkdUqWJ!~~60_35.JPG

My 70 Swinger has tti's and PS< not an issue at all. They are tight.

My TTi's installed themselfs but I lost the video, Opened the box and whamo!
Seriously they fit nice but every car is different, just have to adjust or shim.
Have to use a short oil filter.

Just looked at your pics, and yes shimming will not work on your car. It will work on the old style mounts like are on my car.

What you need and a short filter. Drill 4 extra holes in the adapter. Don't go all monster on the plate when drilling, light pressure is a good thing.

$T2eC16N,!zQE9s3srYOoBRWkdUqWJ!~~60_35.JPG

My 70 Swinger has tti's and PS< not an issue at all. They are tight.

Just went out and tried to visualize...it is going to be tight but my fingers are crossed....but we went at it the wrong way today.

Where could I find the above ?

Thanks
ian.

-
Back