Can You Help Me ID These Cragar Wheels So I Can Sell Them?

-

DigitalRelay

Reaction score
These wheels came with the 1974 Plymouth Valiant I bought a couple months ago. The two with tires were mounted on the car, the other two were in the trunk. When I saw how wide the ones in the trunk were, and that I have SBP in the front anyway, I decided to go with painted steel wheels all around instead.

I'm trying to figure out what these are so I can figure out what they're worth. They are 14" Cragar wheels, the numbers on the back didn't really help. The two with tires are narrower than the two without, which are about 9" wide. They have oblong slots for blots, and have washer inserts that match, apparently to align the bolt pattern. These seem to fit 5x4.5.

Two of the center camps say "Cragar GT".

Does anyone know what these are, or what they are worth? They are in okay shape, but some of the chrome has chipped off.

tempImage2LaY1A.png

tempImageQVQvID.png

tempImageF5IgcU.png

tempImage3RQMjv.png

tempImageJbnKa5.png

tempImagedVi5A1.png

tempImageMPtVHu.png

tempImage3Rm4Pt.png

tempImageouUMqA.png

tempImage505V8J.png

Measure from inside bead to inside bead. They will probably be 8" reverse. The backspace is from the bead to the flat side that meets the brake drum. 14 or 15" ? The slotted lug nut holes tell us they are Uni-lug so they fit at least 4 1/2 and 4 3/4" bolt circle with the proper lug nuts and adapter washers.

Measure from inside bead to inside bead. They will probably be 8" reverse. The backspace is from the bead to the flat side that meets the brake drum. 14 or 15" ? The slotted lug nut holes tell us they are Uni-lug so they fit at least 4 1/2 and 4 3/4" bolt circle with the proper lug nuts and adapter washers.
Yes, inside bead to inside bead is 8" on the wide wheels. They are 14”. Thanks.

Last edited:
Here’s a diagram showing the different measurements. Width is bead to bead, backspace and front space are from the wheel mounting surface to the outside of the lip (not the inside bead). Adding the backspace and front space should give you the outside to outside measurement, which will be about 1” wider than the published wheel width (bead to bead)

IMG_7767.jpeg

And a video showing how to take the measurements

Bolt pattern, width and backspace are usually what most folks list if they’re selling a wheel.

As for what they’re worth, maybe a couple hundred bucks? I can’t imagine paying more than that for 14” uni-lugs. Unless someone is really dying for the wheels for a day 2 build or something.

In my experience, a 14" unilug wheel with chrome chipping off, are worth whatever the scrap guy will pay me.

I hate to bust your bubble, but you are most likely never going to find anyone that will want 14" wheels other than the scrapyard.

Un-lugs are outlawed at a most racetracks today.

Tom

Actually, those look more like dual pattern than uni-lug.

Do you have both 5 on 4 and 5 on 4 1/2 on our car?

Have you tried them on both patterns?

Do the fit with the lugs against either the inner or outer radius of the slot on both patterns?

Contrary to popular belief, 14" tires, even RWL, are as easy to get as ebay.

Do the fit with the lugs against either the inner or outer radius of the slot on both patterns?
I have never known any wheel manufacturer to offer a dual pattern 4 and 4 1/2" wheel. It's all about the size of the wheel center that covers the hubs. But, prove me wrong. I learn something new every day.

The car came with the two narrow wheels on the rear of the car, which is 5x4.5. They fit, but the washer inserts were in to keep the wheels centered. My front drums are 5x4, but I never tried installing these wheels because the wider ones were so wide I knew I wouldn’t use them. I made the decision to just go with steel wheels and get rid of these. I’ll try putting them on the front 5x4 today and see if they fit without the inserts.

Cragar 5 on 4's were direct bolt, no unilugs. At least all the ones I sold in the 80's

The unilugs were 4.5 and 4.75 circle. There may have been other patterns (4.75/5.0) that used that unilug stuff, 4.5/4.75 was the majority.

4.5 and 4.75 would be dual pattern.
I've got Western turbines on my D100 that are 4.5/4.75 dual pattern.
On 4.5, they are tight to the inside radius.
On 4.75, they are tight to the outside radius.
They don't fit any other pattern.
Round hole washer is all that's really needed.

4.5, 4.75, and 5 would be uni.
4.75 is not tight to either radius.
I have several Keystones like this.
Correct, oval washer is needed for intermediate patterns.
These are the most problematic.

4, 4.5 and 4.75 would be uni.
4.5 is not tight to either radius.
Not sure I've ever seen this personally, but I've heard of 4" uni-lug patterns.

Most true "uni-lug" wheels also have a machined ledge that accepts the oval washer that's designed to put the lug shank in the proper position.

OP's wheels don't have that.

Most true "uni-lug" wheels also have a machined ledge that accepts the oval washer that's designed to put the lug shank in the proper position.

OP's wheels don't have that.
I actually do have the insert, washer, shank whatevs call it that aligns with the bolt pattern. I just didn’t include all the hardware in photos.

Plot twist. Not 4 Cragar wheels. Two Cragar, and two Klug? Neither will fit my front drums at 5x4.

I looked more closely at the Cragars. They show 4.5, 4.75 or 5 bolt pattern on the back.

IMG_7533.jpeg

IMG_7535.jpeg

IMG_7537.jpeg

IMG_7536.jpeg

-
Back