Can you manually lockup 727 converter?

-

canttuchmymopar

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to manually lock my converter up and dont want to go tapping into wires and mess something up. Has anyone here did this and would'nt mind telling me how? It's a 85 model 727 in a dodge ram.

Thanks, Kevin

............Is there an electrical connection on the case............I've never seen 1, but have heard there r some with it..........the only 1s i've worked on use the hyd pressure in the tranny to apply lu.........kim..............

............Is there an electrical connection on the case............I've never seen 1, but have heard there r some with it..........the only 1s i've worked on use the hyd pressure in the tranny to apply lu.........kim..............

Thanks, I think running on the interstate at 4000rpm is killing my gas mileage.

If it's not a lockup trans it can't be done without converting it over to a lockup trans. A lockup converter will only knock a couple hundred rpm's off. Sounds like you need taller gears or install an o.d. trans.

If it's not a lockup trans it can't be done without converting it over to a lockup trans. A lockup converter will only knock a couple hundred rpm's off. Sounds like you need taller gears or install an o.d. trans.

Thanks, guys it's a 85 model 727 so it should be lockup though I bieleve I read about a recall way back when because the converters were defective maybe the converter is bad???

At 4000 rpm I don't think you would gain anything by locking up the convertor. If it is a stock convertor it is basically "all in" at that rpm.

I have actually never seen a lock up 727 but I hear they are out there.

Chuck

-
Back