Canadas greatest A body Drag Racer!

-

magnumcharger

Reaction score
In my humble opinion...it was John Petrie!!
And I'll gladly stand by those words.
Did you know that in 1970 he ran a '70 Hemi Duster, in 1971 a Hemi Demon and in 1972 another Hemi Duster!
He set all sorts of track records, and was known for having beaten the likes of other pro-stock notables as "the Grump" and "Sox and Martin" to name only a few!
He also was the Canadian equivalant of Landy, Sox and Grotheer by being the sole venue for Dodge AND Plymouth with the nation-wide "Supercar Clinics"!
I'm very privilaged to be the recent recipient of Mr. Petris' archive of newspaper clippings, factory photographs and other memorabilia!
Look for a new webpage highlighting his racing achievements coming soon!
Meanwhile...dig this:
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodgedeora/sets/72157621867543326/"]John Petrie source pictures - a set on Flickr[/ame]

JOHN PETRIE DEMON.jpg

JOHN PETRIE DUSTER.jpg

JOHNPE~2 (2).JPG

John Petries'Super Car Clinc Handout.jpg

I was lucky enough to have seen him race a few times.He was always the man to beat when he came here,even for the can-ams.8)

hey, magnumcharger...thats great info!!!! I didnt even know he existed. I did know about the "Super Car Clinics" states-side, but not in Canada.

Just as a side-bar, I think "240 Gordie" Bonin was probably one of the best all-around drag racers to come from Canada (I'm open to contradiction here). He showed up at our little temporary track event in Port Alberni in 2009. He said he might show up this year with a racecar! That would be too cool!!!

Great to see information on some great Canadian Drag Racing history!Thanks for sharing!8):read2:

We've had a lot of good racers up here. Gordy, Frank Hawley, Barry Poole, John Petrie, and a million others from out west.

-
Back