Captainkirk's Duster project

-
Put it back together with what you have Cap'n. Maybe get a bonyard 360 for now, then take your time building the other motor !
I only have $5,900 in Misty including the $200 I paid for her....
103533860_10213788589228866_2015305067714422491_n.jpg

Welcome back from Northeast Arkansas
Supper to see this post Captain, Victoria says hello

Hey Cap'n had me wondering for way too long. Now stop dillying and get on with it man. Good to see you again

Shoot I was hoping you might take a little longer. OMG too funny. BTW: I have a good excuse for not doing anything on "Rusty Dusty", well at least for the last 2 months. I'm selling my home and in the process of buying another. Big move to a place 3 hours away and with a 2 car garage, so once I get there and get there I can continue the procrastination process. Ya, know...

OK, so here's the thing...true confessions...I think I've gotten myself in over my head. The Duke is up on jack stands without a smidge of suspension (boy, that underside looks killer, though!) and since I pulled it all apart years ago, I have no friggin' idea how it all goes back together. (I'll remember this. Sure I will!) And I think that's what's been keeping me at a spectator's view. So, gonna start cleaning up and painting parts one piece at a time and replacing rubber bushings, etc as I go and see if I can't get some momentum going here. After all, momentum is the key. An object in motion tends to stay in motion, so sayeth Sir Isaac.
To do that, I'm gonna have to rely on visiting this site for inspiration and possibly, occasional prodding from y'all. So, bear with me, but by all means, keep me accountable. Because if the motor ain't cradled in the body within a year or two, might as well sell the Duke. And that will never do.

Cap'n, If the underside is killer that's 1/2 (if not more) the battle most are dealing with. Me, I have (for more years than I'd like to admit, hint: it was the second one AMD sold) a full floor pan = rail to rail, toe board to rear seat riser. Still need to install that and right lower quarter section and trunk extension (both which I have, left sides done already) and, like Duke, no suspension front or rear. In fact the only things left on the body are the rear windshield and a few remnants of wiring. At least I have her up on home made (welded together and bolted to K-member/rear front spring hanger) wheeled whatever thing so I can move it around a bit. When I move Dusty I'll have to put her up on the trailer, place some 6X6 lumber under the rails, with the wheels from my wheeled whatever thing an inch off the deck and strap her down for the 3 hour ride. Not sure but will figure out when up on trailer, if it'll be best to unbolt my wheeled whatever thing so she'll sit lower on the trailer, 10 bolts, probably best to remove. Hope to be making offer on new place today and if accepted make plans to get things moving. Of course, I'll have to ponder that for at least a day so I can stay in good standing with the "club". LOL

Cap'n, If the underside is killer that's 1/2 (if not more) the battle most are dealing with. Me, I have (for more years than I'd like to admit, hint: it was the second one AMD sold) a full floor pan = rail to rail, toe board to rear seat riser. Still need to install that and right lower quarter section and trunk extension (both which I have, left sides done already) and, like Duke, no suspension front or rear.

Good to know I'm not the only one up Feces Creek without a paddle. I guess when it comes time to hanging the landing gear we can bounce ideas off each other!

Of course, I'll have to ponder that for at least a day so I can stay in good standing with the "club". LOL

Sounds good! I'll have to get back to you on it for sure.

Trip down Memory Lane: Here is one of the few surviving photos of the Li'l Red Minx circa 1977 or so...some goofy-looking dude standing next to her...times have sure changed, but not our likes, wants and desires. I can still close my eyes and hear and smell that car.

16787275560_56a6d2bfb3_z.jpg

A blast from the past for sure. I know what you mean as for still hear and smell it when you close your eyes. No car like (the one's we had/have) our MoPars.

Man does ANY ONE know the Captn. Sure would like to know why he stopped writing?? It is Dec 2020 and not a word!!!!

Must have missed that last post Thought something happened to you??

Glad everything is ok and don't feel like you are the only one in the boat. Later turnover time at the power plant time to head home for some sleep.

I have thought of giving up on the restoration and just selling it but so MUCH time and money and just one more year of long hours in the garage and all the sanding primer painting electrical connections that still has to be done. I hate to say this but I have started to treat all my projects as a job, I use to sleep in when I could now it's up with the sun gone with the wind. Since I have been doing this (and the wife hates me) I have in just 3 weeks primed and Raptored my truck frame put a new un rusted box on after doing the flat black raptor bed lining on the box last year put a home made back rack on for a 40 inch bar light and rear work lights and the strobe lights that all function with out issues (but man electrical work takes a long time) and put fender flares on and mud flaps looks good on half of the truck got to get to the rest sometime probably 2021 shooting Raptor on the rust free fenders and hood as soon as I have time away from work. I meant to finish up on the cleaning of the welded frame ties on the Dodge but ran out of time (work gets in the way) I hope to get him on the tires so the KWIK wire harness can get started so I can fire the motor. I just can not expect it to get down trying to catch up on my sleep LOL. I think of the song Bob Seger sings Night moves talking about summer time sweet summer time well S#*T it's back to winter already and I have to heat the metal up to paint it and leave the heat on for a couple days hoping the paint holds and sometimes the song by FFDP wash it all away would be the feel of the day. You can only do what you can if you are doing it by ones own hands. I think you just have to drive yourself like a 4 o'clock in the morning to get it done as I did with fender flares and mud flaps strobe lights man that was a long day/night but man it looks good well worth it.
Yes I live in snow and salt area for sure. All this is for my other half who does the plowing (1300 foot road) just trying to keep her safe as we are getting older. So if I can you can so anyhow I have all night and could go on forever as I thought I was when You wore not hitting the keys with your stories that bring us all here summertime sweet summertime Man I don't have a night off for 4 more 12 hour shifts and jut get off on xmas eve to head to the house. Later

Eureka! I've found it!
Been having some trouble waffling back and forth on paint. I absolutely LOVE the red color that was on the Minx (pictured above), but the factory correct color for my Duster is "Winchester Gray", and I had decided long ago to go that way. But truth be told, I didn't find it all that inspiring and was having trouble picturing how it would look with the stripe package...until I found THIS over the weekend:

https://www.aeclassiccars.com/classic-cars/listings/1972-plymouth-duster-winchester-gray/

Folks, I'm just blown away! I must've spent an hour going through the pix slide show on Saturday and once again I'm brimming with confidence that Yes, Virginia, The Duke will ride again and yes, he will be wearing Winchester Gray...totally appropriate for The Duke. And hopefully Duke will be sportin' a Mopar twin snorkel scoop up top and have the center of the hood and cowl blacked out.
Yeah, baby!

Oh, and I dropped off the forged crank with the machine shop for final balancing with the new forged rods and pistons. This should be a rock-solid bottom end. More to come..

-
Back