Carb help

-

Vandal

Reaction score
A little back story- so I bought a 1970 Dodge Dart in April, it was all stock from my understanding and I had the engine rebuilt, I started Installing everything and when I finally turned the car on it seemed to be very very accelerated, when I pushed this towards the manifold( see picture -what I have my thumb on) It basically slows the revienta Nd then turns off, once released gas flows and again it seems like someone is just flooring it. Can it just be my carb needs a renewal ? Can it be something else like I didn’t put my car back together correct ? And can anyone help identify what carb I have( I’m very new to old cars) I did some digging In pretty sure I have a Holley 1920 carb but I want to know what kind of kit would work to rebuild it. All the numbers I found are in the 2 last pictures

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Do you have the throttle spring hooked up? Also make sure the butterflies are closed shut at idle just a little opening with the idle screw. Also maybe the choke cam is not allowing the throttle blades to close.

That's the throttle lever!
Throttle cable should be attached to it.
A spring assists in assuring it closes.
upload_2020-7-2_18-36-27.png

After start up, the choke position lis linked to the fast idle cam.,
It should be adjusted to run at 1600 rpm at fast idle (see the shop manual)
When the choke is open, kick the throttle and the fast idle cam will rotate to let the throttle rest on the idle adjustment screw.
Adjust that for 650 or 700 rpm, whatever the shop manual says.
Check timing, readjust fast idle and timing as needed to get into spec. Then trim fuel (turn the mix screw in until rpm drops, then turn it back out). Your '71 was originally spec'd to run leaner idle (14.2:1) to reduce CO and HC but without a CO tester, just get it to run nice.

When you go to set the timing, make sure the hose to the vacuum advance is plugged. When you go to set idle speed and mixture, so whatever the hood sticker or shop manual says. But in all cases, the ports on the carb must not be open to atmosphere.

Some additional tips and a good over view of carb operations in here:
Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

I think I traced down my problem to the lever it wasn’t hooked up correctly and I should of known by seeing my pedal wasn’t much off the carpet, I hooked that up correctly and then set everything back up it did make some difference but also my choke rod( the thing that’s mounted on the manifold don’t know exact name ) is old and I believe it’s leaving the choke open and letting too much air making it seem like someone’s flooring it.

You have two idle adjustments. When car is cold and just started, there is a "stepped cam" that is pulled into place by the cold choke. This increases the idle speed while cold. When the engine warms up. the choke relaxes and the fast idle cam falls out of place, reducing the idle speed to a lower "curb idle". See if these are working properly.

Remember to install the PCV hose with a functioning valve in the valve cover. And if you have a nipple on the back for a vacuum booster, make sure that is attached to something or plugged.

-
Back