Carb spacer

-

elevensies

Reaction score
Maybe a silly question but what's the advantage of increasing the height of the carb on the intake?

Currently I have 1" spacer on a hi rise m1 single plane intake,

Reason I ask is im trying to overcome a top end issue, it seems I'm either loosing power at the top end somewhere ( i do know I have a under fuelling issue I'm in the process of dealing with)
And I wonder once this has been disguising the fact I could do with a higher rise?

Help please

In short, more RPM.

Did you reject the carb richer after the spacer was installed?

But let's here about your combo and how everything is set up.
The key could be in there.

Maybe a silly question but what's the advantage of increasing the height of the carb on the intake?

Reason I ask is im trying to overcome a top end issue, it seems I'm either loosing power at the top end somewhere ( i do know I have a under fuelling issue I'm in the process of dealing with)
And I wonder once this has been disguising the fact I could do with a higher rise?

Help please

Until you fix the bold, putting spacers on isn't going to change much. It will likely make whatever fueling issues you have worse.

The fuelling issue really showed its head this weekend....long story short
Was running high 11's in 1/4 but dropping pressure from 9lb on first 1/8th then right down to 2 in the 1/4
Then on 3rd pass started bogging hard and dropping pressure irraticly and I was starting to run low 12's
Then ran bad......did a pit fuel filter clean and it's blocked, so I'm going to replace. The whole lot.pump, filter and line.

So back on point, I think iv needed bigger line due to the pressure drop in the back end
So what I want to do is make sure I'm getting as much everything evenly in that second half
So with line increase etc what advantage is increasing height on carb?

Yes my carb was re jetted on rolling road but it's going back on them once I get fuel pump, line and filter replaced,

More rpm would work better in the first 1/8
I'm crossing the beam now at 6,
i limit at 6700 so if I can cross at say 6200 that's gona help

Help please

The straighter the line from the carb butterfly to the intake valve the better the port flow(Yes there is a LOT more to this, just trying to make it simple) so a spacer helps this out a little. It also give more volume in the manifold so cyl can share volume more equally at top rpm.

Get your fuel system figured out, and the space will be but minor Candy after words:D

The longer the runners, or the higher the carb, lets fuel atomize better, gets mixed up better. MT

let me try to understand this, you are going to replace the fuel pump, filter and line because the filter was packed with crap. you had no fuel pressure and your hotrod ran like ****. where do you think all the crap came from that's in the filter? I can only think that it might of came out of your fuel tank. so changing all that stuff in front of the tank should only let you race until it get packed with crap again. maybe just maybe you should remove the tank and clean and seal it first or even purchase a new one before changing parts only to screw up again. whaddayothink?

bob, your quite right theses a debris issue in the tank, which is a fuel cell.
this is coming out to clean , but the reason im replacing the whole line and job lot is to increase the size, while its all off i may as well get better.

the main question which has been answered thanks guys, is raising the carb with a taller spacer. :)

-
Back