Carb throttle idle screw not adjusting SOLVED

-

nickname

Reaction score
I have a Carter bbs carburetor and for some reason when it switches from fast idle to normal idle, the rpm does not drop. Looking at the screws closer I noticed that the idle screw is not even touching anything. Screwing it whole way in does not help either.
20240425_135335.jpg

What could be the reason?

I have a Carter bbs carburetor and for some reason when it switches from fast idle to normal idle, the rpm does not drop. Looking at the screws closer I noticed that the idle screw is not even touching anything. Screwing it whole way in does not help either.
View attachment 1716241389

What I would do is start disconnecting linkage parts until I found what was holding it open.
If I didn’t find it doing that I would make sure the throttle plates inside the carb were centered when closed.

Thanks for the replies! I'll check these tomorrow when I have more time and update you after that.

It is common for those to stay/stick on the fast-idle cam, due to either the cam sticking, or the choke is faulty, or the choke is not getting enough heat.
Try a penetrating lube on the cam. If that don't do it remove and polish the pivot screw, reinstall it dry.
I have, many a time, zip-tied a weight onto the vertical link, making it heavy enough to trip the cam.

I would disconnect ALL linkages going to the throttle lever and see if it will fall to idle.

View attachment 1716241389

Remove the rod circled in red. That's the offender. That rod installs on the choke, not the throttle lever.
CHOKE WRONG.jpg

Sooo...it was the throttle linkage cable. Now, I just have to figure wheter to replace the cable or get it unstuck.

Thanks for the help everybody!

Edit: Adjusted the throttle cable from this bolt and now the problem is fixed.
20240426_120041.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back