Carburation Question

-

bob_o

Reaction score
What's happening everybody? I've got a bone stock 225 in my '66 Valiant and recently purchased a 2 bbl intake from 74ChargerSE. I'm hoping for suggestions for a good carb to put on top of it that would have a relatively hassle-free install.

I've been looking at Carter 2 barrels that came on same year v8 cars since I figured at least the linkage oughta be similar to what's in the car now. I am planning to re-do the exhaust soon as well since I know the stock systems are fairly restrictive.. Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

A carter BBD is easy enough to find, and if you have the bucks can still be found NOS on ebay. A Ford 2150 or Holley 350 are also good candidates. For the exhaust it's hard to beat the Dutra Duals. Both of these upgrades will also work with further performance mods so you will not be spending your money twice should you decide to get deeper into your project.

Also, going from a 1BBL to 2BBL or even 4-BBL means you will also have to alter your gas pedal. The 66 uses a rotating rod in the stock configuration, a 2-BBL or 4-BBL needs a cable. You can alter one from a later vehicle, or find one that came from a 64-66 A-body that came with a V-8.

We've used the Holley 350cfm on many 2300 Fords and Jeep V6 applications with good success. Not sure what it takes to mount to the slant 2bbl manifold.

last weekend I swapped from a 1 bbl to a 2 bbl (NOS BBD from back in the day) on my son's truck and noticed an immediate improvement in how it runs. just swapped manifold stacks to a super 6 setup. no trans kickdown linkage (it is a stick equipped truck)

Right on, would love to see the truck! . I've sourced a 2 bbl intake and a throttle assembly from a v8 car from here on the board (thanks 74ChargerSE and Kern Dog). Made a call to the local carb shop and they're putting together a Holley 4412 for me.

Also found a 28" glasspack with a 2.5" inlet and 2.25" outlet to re-do the exhaust. Hoping to have it all together in a couple weeks. I appreciate everybody's input!

Even the 318 Carter BBD is too rich for a stock slant six. Unless you upgrade the exhaust and re-curve the distributor you'll probably not show much benefit from the swap. Even then, you'll need to lean that carburetor out some in the idle circuit. A Holley 350 is a better choice for tune ability, as more parts are made for them. If you plan to leave the engine stock, a Weber 2 barrel or a Super Six carburetor might be a good choice. The Super Six carburetors will cost you though.

Gotcha. Well like I said, I will be re-doing the exhaust. I wanted to go with headers or Dutras but the price is a bit much for me at the moment. I've read a few articles/posts stating that you can run a 2.5" pipe from the collector of the stock exhaust manifold, but that you want to reduce the tubing size after the muffler which is what I plan to do.

My local carb shop said they can set it up so it'll run good with the stock internals and updated intake/exhaust. They've built several carbs for me throughout the years and have never let me down, they definitely know their stuff. Eventually I plan to put a mild cam in it, so I'll have them tweak the carb accordingly.

As far as distributors go, I was thinking of installing a Pertronix but came across this setup on ebay. Thoughts?

Gotcha. Well like I said, I will be re-doing the exhaust. I wanted to go with headers or Dutras but the price is a bit much for me at the moment. I've read a few articles/posts stating that you can run a 2.5" pipe from the collector of the stock exhaust manifold, but that you want to reduce the tubing size after the muffler which is what I plan to do.

My local carb shop said they can set it up so it'll run good with the stock internals and updated intake/exhaust. They've built several carbs for me throughout the years and have never let me down, they definitely know their stuff. Eventually I plan to put a mild cam in it, so I'll have them tweak the carb accordingly.

As far as distributors go, I was thinking of installing a Pertronix but came across this setup on ebay. Thoughts?

You don't have to run headers or the Dutras. You can do this to the stock manifold like I had a friend do. I wouldda done it myself, but I SUCK with a dremel tool. Obviously, Freddie does not. LOL

Exhaust Manifold Mod

I did open up the exh manifold outlet on the manifold on my kids truck to the size of the flange gasket, still have yet to get the new exhaust run on it.
The 318 BBD doesnt seem rich at all on the slant though I did get rid of the butterflies from the 318 carb that had the 1/8" bled holes in them.

-
Back