Carburetor linkage Questions for 67 Dart

-

RatRod

Reaction score
My carb linkage geometry is all jacked up and I need advice on how to proceed to fix it. The Transmission kickdown has never worked since I bought the car and now I would like to fix that too.

So I'm looking for an integrated solution.

The carb is a 1406 Edlebrock 600 CFM. I could use help identifying the intake manifold if anyone recognizes it.

Attached are pictures of the carb and linkage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PXL_20220914_232330533.MP.jpg

PXL_20220914_232341275.jpg

PXL_20220914_232354705.MP.jpg

First thing I see is the kickdown linkage spring is on the wrong point.

Move the red dot end the the post the red arrows are pointing to.
Screenshot_20220914-180852.png

And your throttle return spring should go in-between the throttle cable link on its post

Last edited:
I believe at WOT, the throttle lever should also be JUST touching the rear part of slot. That is with the kickdown rod pushed all the way down. Hope that makes sense?

I believe at WOT, the throttle lever should also be JUST touching the rear part of slot. That is with the kickdown rod pushed all the way down
The kickdown lever (there is a propper name for it but I can't recall right now)
Should be touching the rearmost part of the slot all the time. The spring makes sure if that.

At WOT the linkage to the transmission should not be stopping the carb from opening all the way. They should both be at max positions at the same time.

BTW...

There are many parts to the entire system.
  1. The lever on the transmission.
  2. The bell crank on the transmission
  3. The belcrank on the engine
  4. The lever on the carb
  5. The kick down rods from / to the levers and bell cranks
  6. The slotted kickdown rod
  7. The rear engine throttle cable and bell crank mount
  8. The throttle return spring forward mount.
  9. The throttle return spring
  10. The kick down lever spring.
2bbl and 4bbl parts are not the same.

Some of the rods interchange and I think the transmission bellcrank.

The numbers on this diagram are not related to the numbers in my list. And the linkage shown is 2bbl.
Screenshot_20220914-183558.png

I don't know who makes your manifold but I think it is referred to as "AirGap" and by the bosses in each runner relitivly new manufacturer.

Last edited:
Yep, 90% of your problem is the spring, wrong location and length. Fix that and your trans may just work, hope you haven't been running it long like that, it will burn the trans up in no time...

The carb is a 1406 Edlebrock 600 CFM. I could use help identifying the intake manifold if anyone recognizes it.
The manifold is the generic Chinese AirGap knockoff (Crosswind/Speedmaster/other misc. distributors) which is drilled for both LA and Magnum heads.

edelbrock-mopar-jpg.jpg

Drawing from '69 Service manual
upload_2020-7-19_10-22-1-png.png

www.mymopar.com
You can download a '67 Service Manual

Also more explanation in the Master Tech Series. Available as pdf from the same website
1971 Transmission linkage adjustment supercedes the earlier ones.
Master Technician Service Conference - Chrysler's Training for Mechanics

But yes the basic concept is the 'kickdown' should be a forward at slow idle, begin to move as soon as the throttle opens, and is nearly all the way back at full throttle but certainly not preventing full throttle.

BTW...

4. The lever on the carb

The numbers on this diagram are not related to the numbers in my list. And the linkage shown is 2bbl.
View attachment 1715985666

I don't know who makes your manifold but I think it is referred to as "AirGap" and by the bosses in each runner relitivly new manufacturer.
Thank God for manual valve bodies !!

The master technician videos should be required watching.

My carb linkage geometry is all jacked up and I need advice on how to proceed to fix it. The Transmission kickdown has never worked since I bought the car and now I would like to fix that too.

So I'm looking for an integrated solution.

Attached are pictures of the carb and linkage.

Any advice would be appreciated.

View attachment 1715985640

View attachment 1715985641

View attachment 1715985642
If you need any linkage search linkage lot mech parts for sale

First thing I see is the kickdown linkage spring is on the wrong point.

Move the red dot end the the post the red arrows are pointing to.View attachment 1715985662
Very helpful, thank you for the picture. I made the location change on the spring you suggested. I need some carb linkage hardware to hold the throttle cable linkage in place though. It wants to slide off the round bar/support.

And your throttle return spring should go in-between the throttle cable link on its post

BTW...
Very insightful, thank you for taking time to do this.
  4. The lever on the carb

View attachment 1715985666

Be careful with replays...
Anything between

[Q U O T E =

And

[ / Q U O T E ]

Become part of the quote.

Screenshot_20220915-175244~2.png

View attachment 1715985667

View attachment 1715985668

www.mymopar.com

Also more explanation in the Master Tech Series. Available as pdf from the same website

But yes the basic concept is the 'kickdown' should be a forward at slow idle, begin to move as soon as the throttle opens, and is nearly all the way back at full throttle but certainly not preventing full throttle.

View attachment 1715985667

View attachment 1715985668

www.mymopar.com

What's the cable due do that's between the carb and the linkage rod?

Yep, 90% of your problem is the spring, wrong location and length. Fix that and your trans may just work, hope you haven't been running it long like that, it will burn the trans up in no time...

Help me understand how a spring can burn up the trans?

The back of the slot in the lever should contact the pin on the throttle. The spring keeps the lever forward. If all is adjusted properly when the throttle is wide open (foot to the floor) the throttle valve on the transmission is full open. If it isn't, you need to figure out why and fix it

You have the mid 70's style kickdown linkage. The fine adjustment is a slider fitting on the linkage at the transmission.

It's not the spring that will burn up the transmission, it's lack of throttle pressure.

The slotted rod is the throttle pressure linkage. As the throttle starts to open (go rearward), the throttle pressure linkage should begin to "push" the throttle pressure lever at the transmission to move. The more throttle you give it, the more the throttle pressure lever should move, thus applying more throttle pressure inside the transmission. Throttle pressure tells the transmission when to up shift (along with the governor), when to downshift and if you have Part Throttle Kickdown, it tells the transmission when to downshift into "passing gear". Driving without any throttle pressure will burn up a 904.

Highly recommend picking up a 904 transmission book. Lots of great information. You can also use the search function to search FABO for throttle pressure info.

Got some carb springs from auto zone and it looks like the carb linkage is hooked up right now based on the pictures you've all sent. Which were fabulous BTW.

How can I check the throttle linkage to see if it's hooked up right and not in need of replacement?

Found this on Google from over at for B-bodies only. The diagram shows the throttle pressure linkage and the gas throttle cable. Just trace it up from your transmission to the carb.
70.PNG

-
Back