carpet dyeing free carpet for duster

-

Penstarpurist

Reaction score
I met a guy from a craigslist ad locally in my area that was advertising several different parts for a 73 duster. So I bought a few parts and he asked me if I wanted the original carpet from his car that he had replaced and kept the old one. Our 400bb duster project has no carpet in it and the used carpet was in great shape but gold in color. So I bought 3 boxes of ritt dye and a cheap new large garbage can. Filled it with hot as heck water and stuffed it in there. I know there are threads on here of guys using spray bottles or rattle canning. But figured since it's already out, and the directions said fill a bucket and submerg. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm letting it sit all night in it. Saw a guy on YouTube do it this way with good results.

I met a guy from a craigslist ad locally in my area that was advertising several different parts for a 73 duster. So I bought a few parts and he asked me if I wanted the original carpet from his car that he had replaced and kept the old one. Our 400bb duster project has no carpet in it and the used carpet was in great shape but gold in color. So I bought 3 boxes of ritt dye and a cheap new large garbage can. Filled it with hot as heck water and stuffed it in there. I know there are threads on here of guys using spray bottles or rattle canning. But figured since it's already out, and the directions said fill a bucket and submerg. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm letting it sit all night in it. Saw a guy on YouTube do it this way with good results.

Good luck with your project. I tried to do a set of floor mats. 2 days soaking in the tubs. went from grey to umm wet grey.

If it's a synthetic carpet (80-20 loop or cut pile) then the content of the carpet is rayon and nylon. Dye just won't bond well.
We use a water based spray dye that has a cross linker chemical that bonds to the fibers (makes em a little bit crunchy though) and even that is just for minor touch ups an will not last long with any kind of use and best for seldom touched carpet. the cross linker and color solution works pretty well on Vinyl and rubber but struggles with carpet synthetic's.

We are going from the gold to black. Last night when I checked a corner of it, it was looking dark green. I was hoping by leaving it in at least all night it would help to darken it up more. The carpet is the original 1973 carpet so I'm guessing it's the 80/20. I was really Gung ho and optimistic when I saw the video results of someone else trying it out. But not sure when I saw it dark green. The car is a full resto mod, so we had planned on just buying new carpet for it originally. But thought if we could make the one I got free work for a few bucks it would be great. If not, then just stick with the plan to buy new. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Lol.

This was the best I got with water base spray dye on washed out black carpet in my '69. I opted to not use the spray paint stuff...............
CarpetDye3.jpg

Well my attempt at ritt dyeing the gold carpet didn't go as well as I had envisioned it. I knew not to get my hopes up. The carpet turned dark green with gold blotches. The pics are of the gold carpet pieces for the rear. The other is the failed attempt after leaving it for days to soak. I ended up going with a rattle can in a dark grey/black primer. I know not the correct method, but it actually looks good and really bonded well without leaving a crusty feel to it. I'll add that pic tomorrow when I can get a daylight picture.
20170410_204527.jpg
20170404_101651.jpg

shoulda washed carpet first then youd need a lot more ritt black,..thats why it went green on ya not nuff pigment for the job...do over!! itll work!

Yeah, I just ran the vacuum over it, probably should have washed it for sure. Though I did use four boxes of ritt and soaked it in a large garbage can. Not sure how much more ritt I could have used. Lol. Of course at $2 a box, it's cheap so I should've grabbed more.

new acc carpet is inexpensive at rockauto.

1973 PLYMOUTH DUSTER 5.2L 318cid V8 Flooring | RockAuto

For all the time you have to spend thouroughly cleaning it before trying to dye, the many, many boxes of dye, the "soaking receptacle", etc.
You'll still have used, dyed carpet.
I'm cheap...err...thrifty....ummm....monetarily efficient...(yeah, thats it)...and still sprung for the new stuff.

I tend to value my time more per hour every year older I get.:mob:

I agree with you. In the end it would have been the smarter choice to buy new carpet. And sad to say, even after all the effort I will probably end up just buying new and throw this piece on the shelf for another project down the road. Maybe I'll see if it will work in my 74 Javelin project I'm going to do next. I just had to try, lol, it was free and the car is in the end for my son to abuse at the track. When I say that it makes me think the old used carpet might just be fine afterall. He'll probably trash it anyway.

Well, if thats the case then used carpet is more than good enough! :lol:

I tried to spray dye carpet once and it made it crunchy. It looked great but after a while the fibers moved around and you could see the base color. I tried to go from dark brown to black. Just buy carpet in the color you want!

I checked out the rockauto link for the carpet kit. $121 for a new kit, that's not too bad at all.

-
Back