Carpet install question

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I am installing carpet in my 70 Duster and wondering should I glue it? The install instructions say to. I am wanting to replace the floor pans if I find someone to do it. So if I glue the carpet down this will cause issues for the body guy. I thought this carpet was was made to fit. [Not exactly] What is the best way to install it? Start from the center? The back? Side? Confused. How do I know when its tight enough? Any tricks? Thanks Tod

Agree with Adam. I've never used glue. Have had better luck going from back to front.If hard to work with lay the carpet out in sun a little while. If quality carpet it should fit well with only minimal triming. I use a solid plastic wallpaper roller to get out lumps ,flatten it out & snug around corners. Use a soldering iron or awl to punch out your holes for seat frames,seat belts,highbeam switch,etc.

Oldschoolcuda

Thanks. I will try the wall paper roller. Sounds like a good idea. I have that in stock. How about using a hair dryer for heat? I have had it out of the box and laying out for a week. Does the front piece over lap the rear or does the rear overlap the front? Thanks Tod

One mistake I made with mine was I trimmed it to the size of the original that came out. Well the front and back pieces of the new stuff were different sizes than the original pieces. Dont trim anything until you lay them in first. I bought a cheap $7.00 soldering iron to burn holes for seats dimmer etc. after I poked holes through with a ice pick from beneath to mark them.

If it is molded carpet it should be close. I have found that laying it out in the sunshine or a warm room helps it lay better. I never have glued mine.

-
Back