Carter 1 BBL Too Rich.

-

EvilTuna66

Reaction score
Okay, so thanks to 805MoparKid I got my Holley 1920 issues sorted out. Now we're dealing with a Carter on my friends '65 Dart. Its a really nice clean original looking Carter BBS that came from an old carb shop in Washington with a paper tag saying it was for a '62 Plymouth. Basically it just runs really rich, all the time. Its smooth so its not choking it out, but the gas smell is pretty eye-watering when standing behind it running and the mileage is...bad. I put all new gaskets and check balls in it, set the float 1/4 from the surface of the bowl and all but its just rich.

So, is this something involving the the metering jet/rod that can be fixed by, say, going with a larger diameter rod? Or a smaller jet or both? I did notice the rod looks alot thinner than ones I've seen in other Carters.

Also, where can I buy these rods if thats what I need to replace. I have a few larger ones I took from junkyard carbs laying around.

I had the same problem with 2 of my bbs. I finally got tired of messing with it and sourced a Holley 1945 and tuned it. I also tried 2 Holley 1920s but they both leaked. Now I'm on the hunt for a 2 barrel to work with the e weld aluminum intake I picked up. I have a rebuild motorcraft 2100 but wont work with the adorer that I got for cheap so I'm going to sell that Carb and get a Holley 2300

Don't discard the Carter BBS yet. The one on my 64 Valiant runs amazingly smooth and the exhaust is clean. I haven't fooled with it, but did find the manual on-line for free, so search. As I understand, the metering rod and jet have little or no effect at idle. The idle screw has main authority there, and you should be able to choke off the gas by screwing it in enough. If it does nothing, either debris is clogging it or the seat may have been damaged by an over-zealous person. If the latter, I don't know that there is a fix. I haven't touched mine, just speaking of carbs in general. A damaged idle seat is a common problem.

-
Back