Carter 4732 flooding secondaries

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
so running the car tonight doing my headlights a little bit of my front end not some bolts go to start. The car secondary is flooding out after a minute. Look down the primaries. Nothing look down the secondaries flooding like gushing is there anyway I can adjust the float? or should I give it back to the rebuilder? He’s not a professional, but he does carburetors on the side. It’s been sitting on the shelf for six months thanks in advance. Just wondering if I should pull the top of the carburetor off and maybe lower the float. See if there’s any dirt in there?

IMG_5218.jpeg

It might just be some debris under the n/seat.
Try this: remove rubber hose from metal line. Put a 3/8" bolt [ or drill bit ] in the hose to block it off. Run engine until it stalls [ carb is now empty ].

Re-attach hose. N/seats are now wide open. Start engine. Hopefully in-rush of fuel will dislodge debris.

Take it apart and clean it. It’s easy to do. Just get organized and diarize what goes where and how to put it back together. Find the proper float measurement for it and set that too

Primaries and secondaries (L or R) on that AVS are fed from the same bowl...so if the secondaries are flooding due to float level or crap in the needles, the primaries should be too.

Primaries and secondaries (L or R) on that AVS are fed from the same bowl...so if the secondaries are flooding due to float level or crap in the needles, the primaries should be too.
I don't know about that, there are two onr on the drivers side and one on the passener side.
The primaries should be too what? All I notice is the back secondary are flooding with fuel after it starts to stall. I’m not sure what to do. I took it apart and cleaned it and I actually lowered the float a little bit. I’m gonna take it apart and clean it out again and try to adjust the float. I didn’t see nothing in the needle when I took it apart.

Last edited:
To test for leaking/seats: install n/seats, floats & adjust float level. Invert the airhorn & suck on the fuel inlet. If you can suck air, n/seats are leaking. The brass floats can fail, fill with fuel & sink...

Any carb that is flooding gas up and over into the barrels likely has a problem with dirt in the line/ needle and seat, problems with the needle and seat, problems with a float, leaking, "gas" logged, or sticking bent, etc, or way high fuel pressure

Think of it like a toilet tank. Water comes in under pressure, the float valve controls the level.

I don't know about that, there are two onr on the drivers side and one on the passener side.
The primaries should be too what? All I notice is the back secondary are flooding with fuel after it starts to stall. I’m not sure what to do. I took it apart and cleaned it and I actually lowered the float a little bit. I’m gonna take it apart and clean it out again and try to adjust the float. I didn’t see nothing in the needle when I took it apart.
The left side primary and secondary throttle bores are fed from the left side float bowl… same on the right side. If the float level in the left float bowl is so high as to cause flooding in the left side secondaries, then the left side primary should be flooding too… same for the right side throttle bores. This not a Holley where the primary and secondary each have their own float bowl.

Last edited:
Most of the AFB/AVS carbs have a connecting passage at the rear of the airhorn. So if one side floods, fuel can flow through this passage & BOTH sides will flood.

Which setting of the floats are more critical to flood?
Top upside down is 8/32 should be 7
And drop is about 1 inch
I have read conflicting measurements
5-16 for small floats i have the large so i did 7/32 to 8/32
And the drop i read 1/2 to 1 inch
Floods immediately!
i did clean the needle and seats all looks good there. Urgh this is my 4-5 time trying to get it right.

Carter 4 bbls [ & Edel ] have one of the most reliable fuel inlet systems EVER used on carbs.
Did you do the test in post #6???

Get some warm water in a container & gently push the float under. This is checking for any leaks.
I have never found the float level or float drop to be critical with these carbs. Set the float level to 8/32" [ 1/4" ]; make sure the floats are straight, not rubbing on the side of the bowls & not binding on their pivots. Perform the test in post #6. If you still have flooding then you might have excessive fuel pressure.....or dirt in the fuel.

-
Back