Carter AFB 9636 ?

-
Update -

Hah ! Figured it out. There are no problems with what I did with the cam or anything else. Confidence restored - sort of. What I did do wrong was make a stupid bad assumption without verifying the details -

For those that may end up doing something similar - I will pass my hard earned knowledge along.

Car is a 66 dart - thus I wanted the timing marks on the pass side of the chain cover. The engine is a 68 318. The timing cover is from that engine and has the timing marks on the pass side unlike the drivers side of the cover as in later model engines. The vibration dampner is from a '77 318. Knowing that the timing mark on the vib dampner was going to be off, I assumed that the marks were 90* apart, (wrong!). Since the 77 vib dampner has index marks every 90* apart from TDC - I chose the next one that follows the correct one for a the 77 application, figured that was easy.....

DOH ! I checked a 66 273 dampner and a 70"s damper - huh-oh they arent 90* apart. They are maybe 75 -80 degrees difference - Well, just goes to show details are where its at, and I usually dont miss stuff like this.

So, I am going to reset the timing at 25 btdc as is, move the car into the warm garage, use a positive stop on #1 and remark my tdc line on to the dampner. after that will reset the dist to 10 btdc using the new mark pull the carb install the electric choke, reset the floats to spec, and finally be a happy man.

Stupid is as stupid does - we never stop learning do we, or when you assume u make an *** out of u and me?

Progress!!!!!! Excellent!!!!!!!! Good catch!!!

Tuned it today - and reset the timing marks yesterday - Turns out the mark was about 24-25 degrees off. Nasty retarded timing in other words. No wonder it ran hot and acted crappy.

Set the initial at 10 BTDC and tuned the idle mix screws - its pulling about 13 to 14 inches of vacuum now, reasonably steady idle speed at about 800 rpm, #6 cylinder is a little weaker than the other cylinders, based on an electronic cylinder balance test.

Overall - Im finally where I thought this should have been at the outset. Just need to figure out whats up with #6. Going to try flipping around spark plugs and wires to see if there is an issue with the ones being used on #6.

Might throw a new set of plugs at it as well. Anybody have preferences on plugs for small blocks in the 300-350 hp range ?

Yea !

I saw in the begining of your post that you were looking for a
instruction book for your carb.
I have a copy of the booklet on a pdf file if you still need it.
I can send the file to you if you like, but I may need some help figuring
out how to send it. :evil3:
Longarm

I am having this same issue with a 66 Dart GT with a 318 and an Edelbrock Carb & Mani, it has been driving myself & the Edelbrock Tech crazy! Have had the carb apart three times and checked everthing they have told me and it still has fuel dumping out the venturi boosters and wont idle smooth!!!

Well this might be crazy but at this point I am going to through it out there... Is there anyway this could be related to leaking valve cover gaskets causing a vacuum situation in the carb??? Just noticed they are leaking and looking at everything at this point.

Also tried advancing the timing to see if that would work to no avail as well...

Leaking valve cover, LOL, No.

Yeah I know but at this point I am desperate. Thought I had finally found the answer to my problem after reading this post but after trying some timing settings yesterday that had no affect as well. About ready to pull the carb and try a Holley but fearful I might get the same result...

If the tab on the float that opens and closes the needle is bent wrong, you end up with bazaar float settings and the needle not properly seated.

-
Back